Avalanche Boating

A few weeks ago I went on a road trip with the wife and kids. We took her Avalanche. On the way back we discovered that we had all had way too much fun, but I was the only one awake enough to drive home.

I noticed that it tended to boat. Sometimes what I thought was pretty bad. I have three other fairly new Chvy/GM trucks for my business, and all of them have nice tight steering and suspension. This Avalanche really bothered me. Its a 2002 Z66 2wd. Patti says it has been like that since we bought it, but since I almost never drive it so I wouldn't have any baseline for comparison. My main truck, a 2003 Silverado 2500, is tight and handles like a sports car not withstanding the obvious difference because of size.

Since driving the Avalanche I have noticed the boating even as a passenger when I go somewhere with Patti.

Is this truck particularly known for loose steering / suspension?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Run your tire pressure at 35-37 PSI and you should be fine.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Tire pressure is not causing this boating.

We run it at about 40 PSI. dropping the pressure would make it worse.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Oops, I was assuming that you might be running underinflated for a *better* ride. The first two causes that come to mind are underinflation and/or poor quality tires. Sorry, I can't help.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

That's not a bad idea. To be honest, I haven't even looked under the truck to see if there is anything obvious.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

silly idea, check to make sure that the anti-sway bar is all in one piece. and connected where its supposed to be.

Reply to
seeray