Backing plates (rear brakes)

2000 Silverado 4X4

In another GM newsgroup I read that there is a two piece after market backing plate available. Does anyone have any info on these? If these are used does it mean the axles do not need to be removed.

Al Bottoms Up Divers

Reply to
ajtessier

Yep. Dorman makes some. You don't need to pull the axles with them.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for the info.

Al Bottoms Up Diver

Reply to
ajtessier

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

I do not believe any one is making a split design because of the reccessed design of the backing plate makes it too weak in a splt design. Dorman was the olny place I knew of that made them for drum brakes, and then only for GM.. And the main reason was because of the bad design that secured the wheel cylinders tended to round out letting the wheel cylinder c*ck and start leaking. It was a common issue.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I'd never use one. It's not hard to pull the Axle, and you can then just change the Differential Oil and even Axle Seals while your at it. Do the Job right. Taking the easy way out will just cause problems later down the road.

I Remember when they were making Split CV Boots. Glue them together, or used small screws to hold the split together. Sure it was easy to install and you didn't have to do much, but they just failed a few months later. I haven't seen one in quite a few years now.

If split Backing plates are such a good Idea, everyone would be doing it. I've heard of them, but have never seen one. Where I live, there's not a high demand for replacing backing plates. On the older cars they get grooved in where the shoes ride and then they stick, but even then I'll just Mig Weld it in and smooth it out to like new and they can go another however many years. I don't see to many Rust Buckets. Once in a while on a newer car, but even the old cars aren't to bad.

Reply to
JBDragon

what he said....ditto.

Ona lift, with air tools.....30 minute job max with the parts sitting there. (fact,not fiction)

good advice

~:~ mm ~sips his shroom tea.......mmmmm...good stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

OK, I get the message but it will be on the floor not on a lift. One more question, are the after market backing plates better then OE?

Thanks for the advice, Al Bottoms Up Divers

Reply to
ajtessier

If you can get OE, generally you would be better off. Don't just think right off the bat that OE parts are going to be more Expensive then aftermarket. In many cases that's just not true. They can be sometimes cheaper, and yet better quality. At least not much more then aftermarket. It's not hard to call your local OE dealer and ask about a part and the price, and they may even already have it in stock. Especially if it's a part that gets Replaced/Ordered quite often. Yesterday I needed a Inner Tie Rod for a 06 Silverado. I tried local Aftermarket and was told it wasn't made in the aftermarket yet, too new, ended up calling the dealer and they had it in stock and for around the price you would pay for one in the Aftermarket anyway. A few dollars more, not a big deal.

As for doing it on the Floor not a lift, Yes it's a little harder, but not much, you just have to lay down instead of standing up, which is what it really comes down to. So it takes a little longer. Even though I have access to lifts, even I can't always use them, either all full, or the Car is not Drivable because it's been in a wreck and I have to pretty much replace all the Suspension and drive axle so it can be driven. You have to make do with what you have and if it takes a little longer, so be it.

Reply to
JBDragon

what he said......... vg advice!

~:~ mm ~takes a toke.....mmm...good stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster