battery cable

Can someone tell me how to replace the positive battery cable on a

1996 S10? The thing seems to go through the engine to the starter. And then seems like the starter has to be removed to get to the cable. AND THEN seems like something is bolted throught a motor mount. The Haynes book is absolutely worthless. Is Chilton any better?

Never seen a vehicle where the battery cable was so convoluted.

Thanks

Reply to
Doris

Never changed one on an S-10 but most all GM vehicles are about the same. Obviously make sure that battery is completely disconnected (you don't want to be welding with the other end) so you don't short out the cable when working with it. Just follow it down the engine compartment and see where it goes, possibly there will be some cable clamps that need to be removed and it may go through a metal or plastic guide. As far as removing the starter motor, it just depends on how much room that you have to work in.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

. . ======== ======== snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net (Doris) wrote in despair:

Can someone tell me how to replace the positive battery cable on a 1996 S10? The thing seems to go through the engine to the starter. And then seems like the starter has to be removed to get to the cable. AND THEN seems like something is bolted throught a motor mount.

The Haynes book is absolutely worthless. Is Chilton any better?

Never seen a vehicle where the battery cable was so convoluted. Thanks =========== ===========

Just cut the end off and put a new terminal on it "and never mind the BS".

unless... that's not an opiton.

is it?

no?

why not?

MarshMonster ~:~ ======== ========

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I'd change the terminal end too if that's all I needed. However, as a long time Chevy owner, what was said about them being the same is true. It you have about 100K on it you'll be needing a starter soon too. You might want to change it for reliability. And nothing says you have to install a replacement cable in the same place GM put it. You could run your new cable where you want, but be sure that it does not wear through someplace.

Reply to
eddy eagle