Battery Light ON

I have a 2000 Chev Silverado LS with the 4.8L engine. Just recently the battery light on the diagnotic panel came on solid. The manual says that this light means trouble with the charging system.

My battery is about 2 yrs old and the serpentine belt could be replaced but there are no strange noises and the belt seems to look OK. My voltmeter indicates around 14 volts when running and does not seem to drift lower or higher.

The charging system has a serpentine belt, an alternator, a regulator. Is there anything else in this trucks charging system that I don't know about that could go wrong? Can this light come on for no reason?

Thanks for any hints, Warren

Reply to
Warren

You can have correct voltage output, but low amperage, and the light will also come on if the diodes are going out.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning