bed liner

how are the do it yourself bed liners (the paint on type). as to the drop in type (mold ) do the paint on type hold up

Reply to
roy kistner

I have a drop in type and I HATE it. The smooth plastic one that I have (it came with the truck) offers NO grip, and things slide around beating the sides of the bed. I had to cut holes on the sides of the liner to get to the tie down points. Luckily, I put a cap on it so water does not get under it. If you get antifreeze or oil on it, be prepared to wash it right away, or you will fall on your ass if you climb into it.

Now I do not know if someone makes a plastic one that "grips" like the spray on coating. There is a shop in my area that warrantees thier spray on coating against any gouges. I do not remember the time frame though. The Rhino lining offers a grip AND prevents moisture from getting to the bed.

In my OPINION (of which I have been informed "my opinion is monkey ass") I would get a spray on liner.

Reply to
Eightupman

roy kistner scribbled:

I put in a ..um..rhino? I don't recall the name of the brand, in the bed of my corvair pickup. With the exception of a few spots, where I didn't get it on thick enough, it's fine.

If you don't mind an oxidized look, and don't plan on putting anything nice in the bed. The stuff is pretty reliable I think.

Reply to
Dan

I have the drop in style. I like it. Stuff will slide around some but my liner came with the slots for 2x4's to drop in across the bed at the height of the wheel well. This stops the slide of any items in the back and also makes a nice platform to haul sheetrock and plywood. It will be slippery when wet, but I don't spend much time standing in the bed in the rain :) I have considered getting a few cans of the spray non-skid stuff from the parts store and trying it on the liner but for my uses I haven't really found it necessary. The liner comes out real easy also. I pull it out about once a year to check for rust. Havn't found any yet. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

What about a Bedrug for a liner, has anyone tried one? Basically it is thick industrial outdoor carpet or so I have been told and sells for around $300.

Reply to
Rod Williams

The Drop-ins scare me, I have seen them come flying out of trucks on the freeway.

Reply to
Trey

I have a "Line-X" Spray in, it came with the truck. I will not own another truck without it now. Its strong and durable, and no matter what I toss in it, I rinse it off and the bed looks great.

Reply to
Trey

That is just an ignorant owner who didn't take the time to put a couple of screws in it. You can't prevent stupidity. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

HA HA HA, I saw a canapy go flyin off once back in the seventies.

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

Reply to
Mike Levy

My boss has a drop in, I like it because we throw boxes of electronics in it and we can slide them around... it's all in the use :)

Reply to
KJ

Exactly my point! I mostly haul trash and light stuff. Occasionally I will get a load of gravel and use my Load Handler to winch it out of the bed. I don't think it would slide as smoothly on the non-skid type. Each has it's pros and cons. You must decide what you need. Mike BTW, I do inspect for rust around the screw holes and have not found any in 6 years yet. I hit them with RustOleum every time I pull the bed liner just in case.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Actually every bed I've seen has large plastic inserts that hold the bed in. I've never seen metal screws. Looking at the bed they look like caps that cover holes.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

. Re: bed liner Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Thu, Oct 2, 2003, 8:53pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@beyond.com (Buzz=A0Lightyear)

HA HA HA, I saw a canapy go flyin off once back in the seventies.

But it was the winds gusts, and a cheap canopy.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA HA HA,....you're off topic.

Pop

Reply to
Robert Thompson

Reply to
Mike Levy

Hello, This is just my opinion of course. I hope I am welcome to post? I have a plastic Rugged Liner in my truck which has no screws anywhere . I own a delivery business and haul roughly 5000 lbs a day of drywall mud/paint etc etc . I love it. my bed does not get damaged as to where a spray can ! if you throw a concrete block on a plastic insert you might scruff if but don't hurt the bed. now with a spray on you will dent the bed no matter what the commercials tell you. that stuff is strong. but I feel that is actually a disadvantage because it is permanatly stuck to your bed. if you plan on having the truck for several years, the bed eventually will rust from the bottom up and the spray on top cannot prevent that, neither can a plastic insert . but when it does rust through you might as well be looking for a new bed with the spray because that spray on does not sand easy for repair you would have to grind it off and create more work than it's worth . you can always take the plastic liner out and fix the bed then throw it back in. Good Luck in whatever you decide. Have a Great One ! Bob :)

Reply to
Bob Perkins

Rust from underneath? When was the last time you were under an older truck? I live in the Northeast and I can tell you right now that the underside of the body on my 94 Jimmy is still rust-free, for the most part. But there is no significant rust anywhere down there, all I see is a little bit on edges of panels, looks like plugs in the bottom of the floor, or reinforcements where seats attach. Nope, no undercoating here, and it's been through NINE winters up here, with heavily salted roads, ready to go through it's TENTH winter...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Hello Mike, I was mearly stating an opinion with some facts and common sense. I should clearify i am moreless refering to trucks that are used and abused daily. my 95 1/2 ton is rust free as well. but i have only been using it for business in the last month or so. we are also running a 98

1 ton dually. I apologize for any misunderstanding. and i have looked under trucks many times the bottoms do rust. i prefer the plastic liners for what i se it for. the spray ons are probably great for light use, when it comes to keeping the bed in good shape. Have a Great One ! Bob
Reply to
Bob Perkins

That is a good point, The plastic Liners can be pulled out and replaced when they get worn out. The spray ins would have to be cleaned and sprayed. In those situations, the slid in would be better. Ether way, the slide in is most likely cheaper.

Has anyone ever done a stress test on the spray ins? I would like to see just how much of a beating they can really take.

Reply to
Trey

From what I saw when my brother had his installed, the spray-in can be re-applied on top of itself. The installer had to grind some of the liner down and re-apply the rough coat, wasn't enough clearance for the tailgate to close. Plus, he was able to put the stencil on top, that was also the liner material. Don't know if other brands are different, this was Line-X. That stuff is TOUGH, makes a mess when sprayed on, but I don't see the bed getting too many dings in it.

The >