Belts screaming when starts

This is a car, I had a friend of mine change the 2 belts on my daughters 03 Infininty as they were cracking. We did this about 2 weeks ago when she was home.. Daughter went back to school and called me that when she starts her car the belts are squelling real loud. When she takes off it goes away.. Do you think these are loose maybe the belts stretched or something. I put on Gates belts.. What you think? Thanks

Reply to
Jack Valance

Loose belts will squeal, but too tight belts will also squeal. Takes about 10 seconds to check the tension and less than 10 to adjust. In other words, it takes five minutes less to check the tension and five minutes more to correct the problem than it does to post a message on a usenet group.

Reply to
Raymond Sirois

Don't use that crap on serp. flat belts. Jr.

Jerry - OHIO

So "goes away when she takes off" means what? The squeal goes away at higher RPM? Or does the squeal stop altogether when the vehicle warms up?

Either way I guess you should have them checked by someone who knows what they are doing. Make sure the tensioner is set correctly. Obviously the person who installed the belts didn't because I've changed many serpentine belts that never squealed. The V belt should also be checked. It drives one or two things. Hard to say what without a model.

Reply to
A. Baum

Read the can !!NOT FOR SERPENTENE BELTS !

Jerry - OHIO

I've used a bar of soap on both V and Serpent belts. Works ok for awhile but the best is to replace and pay attention to the tensioner positions before you remove.

Reply to
Teredo

Yup, The tension is wrong, Or the belts stretched, Or the tensioner is bad. And of course . Gates belts just suck.

My opinion of Gates belts is that they stretch too easily. Get NAPA belts I always have to recheck the tension on them.

Id see if the tension has loosened and retighten.

And the tensioner should be suspect too.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Is there a way to tell when the TENSIONER is right.. something to pull on and tell the psi or give? Daughter is in Chatanooga now I got to find somebody to do it right. NOT like I did.. Ive done it many times with no problem..

Reply to
Jack Valance

I had a guy look at it. He told me it was the Idler Pully bearing going out. By me changeing the belts would it cause it go out??

"
Reply to
Jack Valance

If you're looking to blame the person who changed the belt, it's unlikely the cause. More likely cause is age or factory defect. It's not that expensive to replace anyways.

Reply to
Teredo

A friend of mine and ME changed the belt. I have to blame ME.. I bought both pulleys at Auto Zone for $99.50.. Daughter is 500 miles from home coming home in 2 weeks.. I take it to big a chance for her to drive it home???????

Reply to
Jack Valance

I wouldn't drive it 500 miles. If an intermediate pulley or tensioner seizes it's going to burn the belt up. However I've replaced some that still turned after the bearing was destroyed. I wouldn't take the chance on that being the worst-case scenario though. I've replace several that were seized and were towed into my garage after the loss of a belt.

Reply to
Teredo

It didnt,. It was already shot, But you put more tension then the old belt and made it noticable.

You cant lube it, you replace the whole tensioner. Its common for tensioners to go bad. And for you to find out when you put a new belt on.

Nobody did nothing wrong, Its just the tensiner is shot.

My VW timing golf belt comes with a idler pulley with the belt. You change it every time. Not that you have to , just get the idler and new belt and its over with.

Reply to
DogDiesel

You dont, you buy a new tensioner assembly. which has the sealed bearing in it. .

Reply to
DogDiesel

Nice woodwork man

Reply to