Best 4x4 vehicle for long trip in very remote area?

I'm considering taking a very long road trip to northern Quebec and Labrador. That's the real North, very remote and wild, with very poorly maintained gravel roads (huge potholes, etc) and very few gas stations. Later, I'd like to drive to Yukon territory and Alaska.

Obviously, I'd need a 4x4 vehicle-probably a SUV. It must be very tough, reliable, (breaking down in the middle of Labrador would suck), with good ground clearance and lots of cargo space for supplies and spares and extra fuel.

We're two adults. Having room for sleeping in the vehicle would be great.

I understand Chevy trucks are very common in Quebec and Labrador.

What vehicle do you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Reply to
223rem

New or used...if used, how old is too old?

Suburbans are great, except for the MPG issue. You can make the bed of a pick-up VERY comfy for sleeping, and with an extra cab, have room enough inside for the cooler. Getting a later '90s with a 6.5TD would be a good choice for the better MPG and reliability. Also, a diesel idling all night on a cold night with the heater going will burn fewer gallons than a gas engine.

Go 3/4T, run BFG A/T or Michelin LTX A/T, bring plenty of extra gas/fuel, at least 2 full size spare tires, a few extra parts, lots of tools, etc, etc...

Reply to
Shades

Used is fine. As to how old: not from known "problem" years.

6.5 TD = 6.5 liter turbo diesel?

Sorry, can you explain what these abbreviations mean?

Thanks very much!

Reply to
223rem

3/4 ton BF Goodrich All Terrain Light Truck X
Reply to
Steve Mackie

All correct. And yes, 6.5TD is 6.5 Turbo Diesel.

Reply to
Shades

YEAH! It would be cool to see a Unimog with a backwoods camping option. Enough to sleep 2, extra capacity tank, racks and storage galore... KOOL!

Reply to
Shades

Steve W.

Are you guys kidding? No heat, 90-100db sound in-cab, no parts available, anywhere, Very heavy so constantly getting stuck, once stuck you're done because the winch is always broken.

Totota LandCruiser is the only option

Reply to
Battleax

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!