Best Old Truck

My hubby is wanting to buy an older truck. Something before 1980, without all that govt mandated crap on it. He mainly wants to use it as a light haul truck, say hauling home-fix-up items back from the hardware store, and stuff he buys at yard sales. What would you recommend as a "best buy" in an older truck, what makes and models would you say to avoid?

Reply to
EarthMother1488

Avoid anything that is heavily modified. My favorite is the 68-72 Chevy. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Chevy changed their body style in 1973 or 74 and rust seemed to be a major problem, especially with the rear wheel wells and front fenders. You don't mention where you are located, but if you can find the history on the truck, I'd suggest avoiding one from the rust belt (salt-using states) or the coast, where salt air plays havoc with metal, too. My '78 Chevy runs, but the body is eaten up. I bought it in Memphis, but moved to the Kansas City area and within three years I had rust through.

Reply to
Ann Meffert

That's why I was recommending 68-72... after 73 they rust like crazy, until most recently. Buck F.

Reply to
Buck F.

I had a 1973 Chevy C10 and it was one hell of a truck. Never had any problems with it engine or rust.

Reply to
TattooPierced1

I've got a 77 short bed step side 4x4... body is almost completely consumed by rust... still runs great but won't pass state safety inspection becaue the rust finally ate through the floor of the cab...

Reply to
Buck F.

It depends on where you live - like they said - I've got a '79 SB GMC K-1500 that's almost completely rusted out - cab floor, windshield frame, etc, (was a maryland/PA truck until about 2 years ago), but a friend of mine gave me a cab from '78 pickup (from texas) that's in GREAT shape. Now all I gotta do is put the damn thing on...lol.....

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers