Blend door rattles on cold setting in 2004 Silverado

Hi. I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado and the blend door rattles when its in the cold setting. This is the driver's side blend door. The truck has two zones. If I move the temp control toward the middle, the sound stops. The temperature feels fine and switches from cold to hot and back normally. Once in the last year, around 7 months ago it "stuck" in the hot position, but after I turned the truck off it fixed itself and has been operating normally ever since.

  1. Any ideas what the rattle is?
  2. If its the actuator, where is it located? Thanks, Brian
Reply to
SuperBK

sounds like your actuator has lost its calibration. There's a fuse under the hood labeled HVAC/ECAS, pull it for a minute, replace it, put the key in the ignition and turn it but don't start it. you should hear the hvac going through a diagnostic, wait for it to finish, turn the key off and back on. Should get you going.

Reply to
Troy

In addition to faulty actuator motors, the blend door itself can also be broken. This happened on my Silverado. Typically it is a very labor intensive and costly fix to replace a broken blend door, as the dash must be removed and the plenum assembly replaced. There is a DIY kit from heatertreater.net that provides steel hardware as well as instructions on how to perform the repair by removing the glove box rather than the entire dash.

This is also an alternative to replacing the 'difficult to access' top actuator motor underneath the dash. The kit contains a single blend door which converts the dual control to single control. It is operated off of the bottom actuator motor, which can be accessed by removing the glovebox. If you are having issues with your blend door, or the 'top blend door actuator motor behind the dash' it is worth looking into.

Reply to
dirtyted