BLOWING BRAKE FUSE................HELP

I have a 96 Chev 1 ton dually. It has recently started blowing the brake fuse. I can put a new fuse in and they work 1 time, then it blows. I got under the truck and found a white wire that looks as if it broke loose. The problem is, the truck is wired for pulling bumper pull trailers, goosenecks, and trailers with brakes. I t looks like a wiring mess. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Roberts

You have a brake wire touching the frame somewhere. Everytime you touch the breaks, it will blow the fuse.

No easy way out on this one. You need to look at each wire that is visible under the frame and look for chaffing, and stop it from touching the frame. It isn't complicated.

Reply to
Michael Walker

Question for Mike Walker,

I know in a 4-wire trailer light harness the white is ground, is Robert talking about this wire? If so, why would a ground hitting ground cause a short? I'm not trying to say your wrong, just wondering.

Thought for Robert,

I had a similar problem, I blew three fuses on the highway at 10 at night in November: Parking light, turn signals, and break lights. Turned out that there was a short in my trailer wiring harness. So I do agree with Mike, check the wires for shorts.

Thanks and GL accordingly, Joe

Reply to
Joe Webster