Body lift

91 Chevy Silverado

Contemplating installing a body lift so I can relax the torsion bars a bit and still fit the 35's. I have a suspension lift, but I am eating idler and pitman arms about every year and a half. I think its an older Superlift 4 to 6" lift that the previous owner cranked up on the bars to hit the 6" mark.

Never done a body lift. Anyone done one here? Just looking for some input. Difficulty scale?

Thanks, DWB

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

Body lift is easy as pie, but it isn't going to relive anything.

Did a 2 1/2' body on my 92. took a day in the driveway but no big deal.

Remove the body mount bolts raise her up and insert the blocks drop it back down. Depending on the body lift height other things are needed.

Steering column arm adjustment, --simple Spread the fan shroud--------------simple Adjust the shift linkage-------------simple Raise the front bumper-------------simple but a pain in the arse. Emergency cable adjustment-------simple Also remove some brake line clamps and adjust gas filler neck.

All parts should be supplied in kit except maybe the bumper brackets which you can buy separately. I wanted to raise the rear bumper also but was unable to find the brackets for the rear at the time.

GoodLuck

Reply to
Mastermech

Thanks for the input, that's exactly what I was looking for.

The only way I am hoping on getting stress relief is I plan on reducing the torsion bar settings. That's why I am wanting to get a body lift to clear the tires after that. I am hoping to get less stress on the steering components that way.

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

SFA conversion would fix your torsion bar problems.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

On a new truck, 4.5 to 6, on an older truck that's seen off road and road salt, 7.5 to 10 assuming you have a flame wrench to heat rusted nuts and bolts up.. After you install the body lift, and then "relax" the torsions, how are you getting the butt end down? Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I was planning on changing out the lift blocks in the back with 4" lift leaf springs. That should put her pretty level.

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

Sounds like a winner then. my research reveled something I didn't know, you cant get a drop spindle and drop idler arm for them thare IFS 4x4. Proper lift kit includes new spindles, and the steering arms are four inches higher on the assembly then the stock ones. But being as I am old school hot rodder, there is nothing wrong with the tail end being a little higher than the nose end ; ) Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks for your input. I appreciate the insight.

Reply to
Dirty White Boy