Body Mounts on 77 Suburban

Has anyone replaced the body mounts on a 77 Suburban or similar vehicle? Any tips on tricks, pitfalls, gotchas etc would be much appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert L. Wells

I swapped my mounts out with a polyurethane kit in my 72 blazer 4x4 (which is for sale by the way) and i just loosened all the mount bolts and replaced one at a time raising the body with a jack and a board to reach the body. It's not too scary because I only had to lift the body an inch or two, just enough to get the old bushing out and new one in.

Reply to
Greg

Thanks for the reply greg. What did you notice in terms of ride and noise with the polyurethane mounts. Were they the Energy Suspension parts? I've heard of some people experiencing more boom/noise/vibration with them. Did you by any chance replace your shackle bushings too and if so how hard was that?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert L. Wells

Shackle bushings are a MAJOR pain-in-the-ass. The shackle bolts vulcanize to the rubber bushings, making it impossible to remove the bolt thu the shackle and mount. Best way I've found is to remove the nut, cut the bolt flush with the mount and grind down the other end flush with the mount, then heat em' up (melting the rubber), and use an air hammer with punch tip to drive the bolt out.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

======================== Seams going back with rubber rather than poly would give you less noise/harshness.

Reply to
Scott M

I'd go with stock factory mounts. I've had experience with aftermarket engine mounts, trans mounts, and cab mounts. All performed poorly, especially rear trans mount. B

Reply to
Battleax

Reply to
Robert L. Wells

They were Energy Suspension, my old ones were so bad that the new polyurethane ones tightened everything up and silenced a lot of prior noises. I did replace the rear shackle bushings on the front springs. They were nasty and rusty but it wasn't too bad for me, i got it all done without grinding or drilling. It also helped my sloppy steering. Good luck.

Reply to
Greg