Brake drum shoe clearance gage, where can I get one?

Your being over critical of the adjustment. Most vehicles have self adjusting brakes, so the initial adjustment is only relevant to allow the self adjusters do their job. Adjust the shoes until they just drag on the drum, then back off the adjuster a turn.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Hi All:

Needing to do a brake shoe adjustment to .76mm clearance between lining and drum.

I was going to buy one of those "drum clearance gage tools" that measure diameter of drum and diameter of outer lining so that I can ensure .76mm gap.

I was flabbergassed that AutoZone, Car Quest, Napa and Advanced Auto Parts don't carry this tool. The manual says to use this tool.

Anyone know how much this tool costs and *where* I can get one? Don't know if the Chevy Dealership would sell this tool?

Is there another tool I can use as an alternate? I *guess* I could carefully use a ruler to measure diameter of inner drum and then carefully subtract .76mm from it's width and then turn the adjusting screw until the outer lining diameter length = that value? Just seems kind of "risky" though as it would be (most likely) inaccurate.

thanks...

Reply to
Anon

thanks, I was just going by the following:

Yeah I see now on the link that those brakes are self-adjusting too.

So that there's less than 1mm gap perhaps? Would it hurt if I measured it to about a 1mm gap?

Also, on step 25, they say: Install the drum and wheel, tightening the lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm). Adjust the brakes using the procedure given in this section. Be sure to install a rubber hole cover in the knock-out hole after the adjustment is complete. Adjust the parking brake. Where/what is "knock-out" hole that they're referring to and where to get this rubber hole cover? Maybe just reuse the existing one.

thanks

Reply to
Anon

Never mind. I figured this out. Did not realize that they meant adjusting with the drum on and sticking a screwdriver thru the hole on the backing plate to do the adjustment. I know where that hole is.

thanks.

Reply to
Anon

I agree too. I have done it that way for many years except I do it until they drag a bit and leave it that way as they will seat in some/ Also I would step on brake hard a time or two while still on jack after you adjust them and then recheck them.

Reply to
SnoMan