Brake light trouble 98 Surburban 2wd

Brake lights are out. The 3rd light is ok.

Replaced the brake light switch and checked all fuses. Can't seem to find the problem, no voltage at the bulb sockets in the back, Suggestions??? thanks,

Reply to
jag

Bad hazard lamp switch. Try turning it on/off a few times rapidly, then try your brake lights. Sometimes this is enough to get the contacts working OK. If you decide to replace the switch be prepared for sticker shock. Cheaper way is usually to get a complete column from a salvage yard and either repaint it if needed or swap the switches out.

Reply to
Steve W.

Some of these have a "Stop" fuse and a "Brake" fuse. Check both.

Reply to
Bill

The hazard switch is flaky and pricy at $175.00. Went to the salvage today and did not find an exact match.

I will let you know what I find as the fix.

thanks for the help

Reply to
jag

It also could be a bad circuit board on tails lights. GM Part No. RH

16511566 LH 16511565
Reply to
Airport Shuttle

Common problem in GM hazard switches. The switch does a lot more than most people think. In normal position it makes the connection for the rear brakes lights to operate normally. When you switch the hazard lights on the switch connects both brake lights and front turn signals and runs them through the hazard flasher circuit. When the switch fails (usually a small piece inside breaks and the contact bars come loose) you lose hazard and brake lights. Usually you don't lose the front or rear signals because they operate through their own circuits.

The CHMSL gets operated directly from the brake circuit so it still works.

What I have done in cases where the switch failed and I needed the vehicle for work or to get home, is to use a simple pair of relays. Just bypass the factory system and use the power/ground signal from the brake switch to turn the relays on/off. Then a power/ground line to them and a separate feed to each light. You can do this right under the dash on most. You lose the hazard lights until you fix the switch but it's better than a ticket or getting hit because the lights don't work.

power/ground = Whichever your vehicle uses. Most newer ones use ground switching on the lights so you would switch the ground. On older vehicles you would switch the + power side.

Reply to
Steve W.

Had a similar problem. Turned out to be the turn signal switch on my 97.

Reply to
bilz2765

Yep VERY common. GM issued a recall on some models/years for it. There is also a VERY simple to replace part on many that causes the problem.

This shows the repair on an S-Series but they used the same style switch on a LOT of GM products. If it has the red or black button on top of the column with a triangle on it then it will probably work.

GM Hazard switch repair Kit part # 15174447 Parts are about $20.00 currently and dealer only.

Reply to
Steve W.