Brake problems

I have 1998 1500 4X4 Chevy pickup with rear brakes that suddenly lockup hard for no apparent reason. I've found that I have to engage the emergency brake to get them to release. The brakes are not wet when this happens and it seems to occur right as the truck starts to roll from a complete stop. Anyone ever seen this? Thanks

Reply to
Knucklebuster

could be a collapsed brake hose

Reply to
Sigwings

Or a leaking grease seal.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Two things come to mind. GM in its infinite wisdom used "clips" to hold the wheel cylinders to the backing plate on too many years. I cant remember when the practice ended, but I do know they were used on the 10" brakes, but not the 11" brakes on light trucks. The "hole" in the backing plate for the wheel cylinder was not round but rather somewhat like an hour glass, The problem was the hole could become rounded and allow the wheel cylinders to rotate. This could cause the brakes to hang up. It was caused by and compounded by poor adjustment. Applying the parking brake takes the stress off the cylinders allowing them to retract and snap back into proper position. After-market quality cylinders had a different design that added for lack of a better term, ears that went up ether side of the pin the shoes tops rested against. If the opening wears enough, and the brakes are far enough out of adjustment, the cylinders could rotate enough to blow the piston on the lower side out of the cylinder. I am not saying this is the issue in your case but it could be. Raybestos was the first to offer the improved design followed by Wagner. I do know that if the rear brakes are maintained in proper adjustment the set up works fine. Oh and if the holes are rounded badly, the backing plates should be replaced.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks. I'll give it a good luck and see if this might be the cause.

Reply to
Knucklebuster

Opps...did I say luck?? I meant look. I must be hoping for some luck to fix the GD thing....

Reply to
Knucklebuster