Brake recommendations

I have purchased a 1999 GMC Sierra which needs brakes all around. I would like to upgrade the brakes to something incremantally better than the stock brakes, but I don't need high performance.

I'm planning to spend about $150 per wheel for rotors and pads and would appreciate personal recommendations from satisfied customers. Thanks...

Reply to
lanman

I like the Delco DuraStop Ceramic Pads AC part number 17D785CH as to rotors, any good quality brand, Raybestos, Wagner, NAPA. Beware the cheap China junk. Not all aftermarket OEM quality. a lot of them have less cooling fins which translates to higher temps, and shorter brake life. After the AC Delco, I like Raybestos, PGD785C for standard ceramic (PG Ceramic), PGD785QS for the super premium ceramics(Quiet Stop) Part numbers assume a 1500 series truck as you left that info out. Along with pads and rotors(if needed) don't forget the flush the hydraulic system out. I dont have part numbers for the rear or woyuld gove them as well. Raybestos does have a performance line of rotors, directional, ie left and right , and cross driled, but I've never seen a need for them on less than race vehicles.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I've had good results with the semi metal pads from the store. The organic pads cost about half as much, and last 1/3 as long.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Really who uses Organic Pads these days? Unless you really want a cheap set of junk pads that don't stop as good. A lot of cars these days are going with Ceramic. Personally I think your best bet is to go to the dealer and buy a Set of Stock O.E. pads! They seem to last quite long. Price isn't to bad. How long did your Brakes last from NEW truck to first time you replaced the brakes? Really if you spend a extra $10 on a much better set of Pads, wouldn't that be the smart move?

I think the last time I installed Organic Pads was on a Old Cadillac which required Semi-Metallic up front and Organic in the Back. That was quite a few years back. Some Cars can be really picky on the Pads you install. Especially Volvo's, Mercedes, and BMW's. They just end up badly squeaking putting after market pads in. I don't even waste time anymore with after market on those. Not worth it. If they need Rotors, it's O.E. rotors also. To many problems with aftermarket on them.

Have some people complain about a grinding noise when coming to a stop. It's the Aftermarket Simi-Metallic Pads. Nothing is wrong, they just make a little more noise then stock. Some brands work better then others for different cars/trucks. At the very least get a good quality Pad. Spend a little more now and have less problems later. Your safe bet though is O.E. Believe it or not, sometimes O.E. pads are cheaper then aftermarket unless your taking about some really garbage aftermarket pads. Your not going to get much better then maybe some higher end Ceramic Pads.

Reply to
JBDragon