Brake warning lights - '03 Silverado

Just got in my truck to head home from work and both the ABS light and the Parking Brake light were lit solid. No fluid leaking and pedal action was fine. Tested it a little in front of the office and drove home with one foot on the parking brake.

If the speed sensor (typically - from what I've read) near or on the rear axle fails, will this light the Parking Brake lamp as well?

If not, where should I start checking?

Thanks.

Reply to
scrape

As the brakes wear the fluid level drops. Did you check it?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Yes. Meant to mention that.

Reply to
scrape

Hmmm ok. Next step would be to check the obdc for stored codes. Most auto parts chain stores will do that for you.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I'm not sure, but I think that if there is a problem with the ABS, it will illuminate both the ABS and Brake lamps. After all, the Brake warning lamp is a general brake system malfunction indicator, not just a parking brake warning indicator. You might check the ABS fuse under the hood or have a dealer check the system with a scan tool. If it is a problem with the ABS then the brakes will continue to function like non-ABS brakes - that is, you won't see a difference under normal conditions, but if you slam the brakes on, one or more wheels may lock up and skid.

Reply to
Ed H.

Had a similar failure on a 2000 Silverado. Turned out to be the fluid level sensor on the brake fluid reservoir on top of the power brake booster. The part was like $70 bucks for the reservoir with sensor.

Reply to
Bill

How did you determine that was the problem? Does this throw and OBDII code?

Reply to
scrape

I would start with the easy stuff first. Make sure the Brake fluid is not low. Some masters have a float in them and even with full fluid, the float is stuck down and will cause the brake light to be on. Make sure the Brake and ABS fuses are good. Check and make sure ALL rear Brake lights are working including center, this on some cars will trip the ABS light. If all that is good, then scan for ABS codes. A cheap OBDII scanner will NOT read ABS codes even though it plugs into the same port. You need a scanner that can read ABS codes. Once it tells you what the problem is, if it tells you, you need to know what to do with that info because a cheap scanner is not going to tell you anything on how to go about checking the problem out and fixing it.

Yes, when the ABS light is ON, your brake system is now acting like a NON-ABS system and will lock up, with the Brake light on also, I would get it checked out pretty quick. Brakes are series business and not something to take lightly. I've seen brake work many times that was a complete screw-up from the owner trying to work on it and just ends up costing more money in the end to be fixed right.

This is the cheapest ABS scan tool I've seen. I have no Idea how well it works. If you want to spend that kind of money or just take it to a shop that can scan for ABS codes that way.

JBDragon

Yeah, I was looking for a gravel road to test that theory out on heading home from work tonight.

Will the ABS fuse failing cause it to light the dash lights? Will the typical code reader at AutoZone (or whoever) be able to read a stored code on this or do they mainly just do emissions stuff?

Thanks.

Reply to
scrape

That's what I was wondering. Does OBDII store code for anything that will light an ABS or brake light? And are there various levels of OBDII readers? Meaning, can the auto parts stores see a code for this?

Thanks.

Reply to
scrape

ABS systems do NOT throw out OBDII codes, it throws out ABS codes and you need a scanner that scans for ABS codes, a cheap OBDII scanner won't see a thing. As for a stuck float, like I said in my last message, it easy enough to check, Do you have a electrical plug going to the bottom of the fluid reservoir? If so then there's a float in the master. If the fluid is so dirty that you can't see the float, there are ways to still check. You could also usually just unplug the connector and see if the light goes off. On my 03 Silverado there looks to be a place for the Sensor to be installed at on the bottom of the reservoir, but it doesn't have a fluid level sensor there. My fluid though is looking kind of dark. It's 5 years old and Original brakes that are still in great shape. I think I'm going to have to flush all that dirty fluid out pretty quick. Should do a Radiator flush also, it's time. Time flies, it's general maintenance time.

Reply to
JBDragon

The local Chevy dealer found it, and fixed it. Had it in for 75k service, and the brake problem happened a week before. Total bill was around $200, and that included the 75k service n brake fix.

Reply to
Bill

Update:

ABS *seems* to work. I did the best I could trying to lock them up on a dirt road, but the bed was full. I'm fairly certain I could at least feel one or two chatters...

ALSO:

-Cruise control isn't working - CC itself or the dash indicator

-Blower fan isn't working at all - don't even hear the relay click between position 4 and 5.

-Heater controls are stuck on high - moving them through the range produces no change in temp.

-Heat/Cool position switch isn't working. No matter where it's set, air blows through the dash vents.

-I can't find any blown fuses.

Am I thinking along the right lines when I'm thinking there has to be a bad ground somewhere?

Reply to
scrape