Broken Temp Gauge

Hey, I posted this message before and received no responses. Can anyone help me out with this? I have a 98 Sonoma 4.3L, and the temp gauge is not working. Has anyone ever had this problem before? The temp sensor has recently been replaced so I think it may be the gauge itself. I was told the only way to fix this was to send the entire instrument cluster to the dealership and have them fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
sam

When you say not working, do you mean that it always reads low or high or similar? If it always reads high, you prob have an open in the line, if always low could be grounded out btwn wire and sensor. Also you should be able to put an ohmmeter on the the sensor output and see how it varies as truck warms up(if you're interested in this method let me know and i'll look up the specs in my manual).

sam wrote:

Reply to
89GMC

The temp gauge always reads low, and yeah, let me know about those specs.

Reply to
sam

Ok,

At 40C(104F) the resistance is 1365 ohms At 125C(257F) the resistance is 55.1 ohms

I may have been backwards on the first statement i made that's what i get for doing it from memory....

Here's what the manual has for diagnosing a reading low gauge:

1.) Resistance in the circuit due to corrosion or a loose connection. Clean and tighten the terminals and connections, check for resistance in the ground path of the sender

2.) Faulty sender Remove the lead at the sender. Measure resistance with meter(these are the specs i listed above) If sender does not have approx these values replace sender.

sam wrote:

Reply to
89GMC

thanks for the info! I'll check on those two things.

Reply to
sam

Reply to
89GMC

by the way, which manual are you using. It sounds helpful.

Reply to
sam