Buying & installing a used snowplow

I'm in the market for a used truck, either a Chevy or GMC 3/4 ton, early to mid 90's probably, and I need a plow on the front. In looking through the classifieds it seems that the trucks with a plow installed are quite a bit more expensive than those without. Considering the price of a brand new plow installed is only about $3000, and the wear and tear that plowing does to a vehicle, It seems that the "plow trucks" should actually be selling for less than one without!

Anyway, if I buy a truck without a plow in the hopes of finding a used plow (they seem to go for around $1000 depending on size) what should I be looking for as far as "models" go. I.e. are there differences in the design depending on what vehicle it came off of and if so, is it difficult to modify/switch parts to make it fit my truck. Also, is this a service that a dealer (one that sells new Fisher plows) will perform or will I be insulting them by asking?

Thanks in advance, Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

Jimmy, I work for a plow dealership, and every year I have to explain to people who bought a used plow setup, that in order to use it, they will need to buy a new mount kit and all new wirng harnesses. When these additional parts and labor are added onto an installation, their "bargain" used plow setup begin to aproach the cost of new. Plow kits are very vehicle specific, right down to headlight options from the factory, so be sure when pricing things up that you are absolutely sure that the kit you're looking to purchase will in fact bolt-on to you vehicle...... Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Are there any sources for finding out which plow will fit which year of vehicle? For example, if I bought a plow that someone took off of a 1993 Chevy 1500, would that likely fit a 1994 Chevy 2500?

Reply to
Jimmy

Probably not... A 2500's frame is made with thicker metal and it is taller. Unless you fid X truck that you like and X wrecked truck w/ plow then I'd buy new.... For example blazer's rot away from under their plows all the time so it's not hard to find a used plow for a less-rusty blazer...

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

Defiantly go with a 3/4 ton. We have a 1/2 150 at work that was used for a plow truck the frame has been broke twice, just not a heavy enough truck.

Reply to
LARRY929

1992 chev 1/2 ton 149,000 + miles, manual trans, V6, work truck, no longer made I installed a boss plow in 1994, and use this plowing commercially homes and businesses. No problems to date with either the plow or the truck, I replaced the stock clutch this spring with a slightly larger one, only because I had the tranny removed, because it was stuck in gear and would not go into neutral, nothing broke inside, just bound up. jerry
Reply to
jerry

The 1/2 ton I described was use to plow city streets which is hard on any truck. Our dump trucks take a beating in winter.

Reply to
LARRY929

would a plow from a 1 ton fit?

Reply to
Jimmy

...also, is $3000 an acurate approximation for a new fisher plow? installed?

Reply to
Jimmy