C1500...dashboard access

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to explain to me how to access the wiring harness in my C1500. I really don't want to have to yank the entire dash out to get to what I need. It is darn near impossible to get up in there from underneath, what with the steering column, vents and all. There is a bar that runs across the entire lenght of the dash, does the dash somehow swivel down on this? If so, how might I do it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Sincerely,

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brehler

dunno what year truck you have, but on my '96 I just grab the "lip" of the bezel that runs around the whole dash and give it a tug. Then I have to disconnect light switches to remove it if I want. But, that is not usually needed cuz I can work on radio, HVAC etc with the bezel still kinda sitting there. The glove box pops out pretty easy too. But, if you need more than that you're prolly looking at more than a few hours project. And, as you have found out, forget about it from underneath. Especially on my truck as I have a clutch pedal to contend with too. I use one bolt under there for a ground and that's about it.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Thanks for the reply...you've described exactly how far I've gotten with this thing so far.

I'l afraid that I'm needing to get into it a little farther than that. I did discover some screws on the top of the dash that I think I'll try to get off tomorrow and see what comes off then.

BTW, any idea what purpose the horizontal bar going across is for?

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brehler

Sorry, that's as far as I ever needed to go. I can reach in and almost touch the firewall from there. I have installed a number of radios and electronics in my truck and didn't need to go any further. That big steel bar is structural and is a good ground too. If you have a digital camera, take some pics before you go nuts taking stuff apart. This will help a lot with the "spare parts" later on. :)

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Are 2005 the same, need to put a cd player in ?

James

Reply to
jclotto7