Caliper Question

Hi all,

I got a really crazy question, that is a bit off topic for the truck group, but here goes. What exactly is the difference between a loaded caliper, and a caliper that isn't loaded?

I picked up a '94 Lumina Sedan, nice shape but needs rear brakes.

I found service records for a brake job that was done about 15k miles ago. The rear rotors and pads were replaced, but the driver's side is totally shot, the passenger side is like new. I figure the caliper is bad, or sticking, etc, and will just go ahead and replace both.

Thanks Rick K

Reply to
luckystrike39

Loaded means it comes with all the options.

J/K, it means the caliper comes with the pads already installed, or at least in the box for install when you put the caliper on.

Reply to
Mike Levy

What portion of it is crap? GM calipers have a sliding problem it seams, and as long as all moving components are well greased each side should wear evenly. But if they seize up, just the inside pad will be used to stop and will wear the piss out of the rotor.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

The outside of the rotor is worn bad. Didn't rip into it, to see the inside. I figure that caliper is stuck or seized, or, the emergency brake is stuck and holding it, causing the wear.

In any event, I'll do my usual, R&R the whole thing, so it's new.

Thanks Rick K

Reply to
luckystrike39

Loaded caliper comes with pads.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hi Doc, Was wonderin' when you were gonna chime in... All is well. Replaced the entire rear system. Cost an arm and a leg, not used to that... I did my whole truck for what it cost for this thing.

Thanks Rick K

Reply to
luckystrike39