Can power steering leak cause steering drift?

I have an annoying drift in the steering in my '96 SIlverado. I can't find any loose or worn joints or components in the front end, but there is a minor leak in the high pressure power steering hose. Could that be the cause?

Thanks, Ted

Reply to
tedb

Have you checked the steering coupler AKA "rag joint"? This coupler acts to dampen the coupling between the lower steering shaft and the steering gear box. You will have to remove the plastic shield that surrounds it. Often with age this coupling will develop some looseness and allows the vehicle to drift or have excessive steering wheel play. I recently removed the lower shaft on my 95 S10, drilled out the rivets and replaced with some 3/8" x 1" lg bolts. After completed it looks like this:

Eliminated allthe play in the S10 steering.

Reply to
DonW

I would also try getting the front tires jacked up, and then while the wheels are straight, Start up the truck and see if the Steering turns on you all my it's self. I would also try Cross switching the front tires. Put the left front on the Right side and the right front on the left side and see if you start drifting the other way. If you first drive it and it's drifting left and then your cross switch the tires and drive it again and it starts drifting right, then you have a tire problem.

Reply to
JBDragon

I find that steering drift goes away when I pump the tires back up. Just a thought.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl