Cap. of G80 locking rear end

Any idea of the cap. of an 02 G80 locking rear end? I am using Mobil one 75w 90, and have installed 2 qts. The level seems to be about 3/4 to 1" below the bottom of the inlet hole. The manual says for a

2500HD it should be just below the bottom of the hole now, but just below can mean several things. Was wondering if it is all that important to have the level right at the bottom of the hole. I will have to buy another qt. for $9 bucks of which little will be used. TIA, MR
Reply to
MR

MR asked ; "Any idea of the cap. of an 02 G80 locking rear end? I am using Mobil one 75w 90, and have installed 2 qts. The level seems to be about 3/4 to

1" below the bottom of the inlet hole. The manual says for a 2500HD it should be just below the bottom of the hole now, but just below can mean several things. =A0 Was wondering if it is all that important to have the level right at the bottom of the hole. =A0 I will have to buy another qt. for $9 bucks of which little will be used. TIA, MR"

------------------------------------------------------ It may not make any difference,but if it was my truck I'd fill it until oil began to seep out the hole and then plug it. That's the way I've always interpreted the instructions--right at the lip,not 1 inch below.I would get the additional quart,you'll need it later anyway. Best...Brian O.

********************
Reply to
Brian Orion

Depending on what axle you have, the capacity ranges from 2.41 to 3.83 qts.

Reply to
DonW

Thanks. I think I have the 2.41 since it looks/feels like it is just below the bottom of the filler hole. I will spring for another $9 bottle since it is cheaper than fixing a locker. Seems like it was a lot less per qt. a year or so ago MR

Reply to
MR

Consider yourself lucky at $9/qt. If you look at the specs for axle lube in your owner's manual it will probably be a GM p/n and/or with a GM spec attached (like 9986115) If it's the later there's probably only two people on earth that knows what that is! Mobil1 will flat out tell you their lube doesn't meet that spec.. Only place to buy the GM stuff is thru GM at over $20/qt! Royal Purple says their lube meets the GM spec but it doesn't show on the bottle. I just changed the axle lube in my 03 Envoy. Since it was still under warranty stayed with the GM lube which has a grape juice smell.

Reply to
DonW