car flag on bed rail

has any one mounted a car flag on truck bed rail? if so, what's the best way to do it. Also, you know of someone who did it, please provide a link.

I'm aware that some have built truck bed flag poles, but these were made for really big flags. This is not exactly what I had in mind. :)

I have a 2000 chevy S10. this model does not have stake pockets as there are truck flags with this feature.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

Weld a metal rod to the side of a pair of Vise Grip welding clamps? We make rotary tool stands that way.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

How large is the flag?

Plastic flag pole, or metal?

How handy are you?

to do it. Also, you know of someone who did it,

really big flags. This is not exactly what I had in

truck flags with this feature.

Reply to
Nightcrawler

If your talking about the small flags with the plastic stanchions like you stick in the window it's easy. Make an L shaped bracket and weld it to a clamp. Then clamp it to a handy spot.

OR if you don't need to travel at speed visit a CB shop and buy some of the HD magnets they sell for antennas. We use some like that on a couple of our engines for parade duty.

Reply to
Steve W.

well, I'd have find someone who has that kind of equipment. didn't think about welding a clamp and metal pipe.

are you familiar with Uni-grip? it is a bed rail clamp designed to hold bikes. the only thing about it is that its pipe is set horitzontally. A right angle PVC pipe set up could be rigged up. the only thing is how do you secure a flag in that setup.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

its small, no more than say 10" x 12". your typical sports car flag with a plastic or poly flag pole.

how handy am I? um, it depends on how hard it is and if I have the equipment to do it.

Nightcrawler wrote:

way to do it. Also, you know of someone who did it,

really big flags. This is not exactly what I had in

are truck flags with this feature.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

this won't cause the flag to fly off of this L bracket?

Steve W. wrote:

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

Stick a small screw through it OR if your doing it for long term use epoxy the flag holder to the bracket. If your doing it for parade duty just use a zip tie

Reply to
Steve W.

Okay, I will approach you with the thinking that you have some basic tools and are going to mount the flag on the top of the bed rail.

You will need to check out a marine supply store and locate a bulk head mount that has a verticle collar which you may insert the flag into (after cutting off the mounting tab). These mounts generally are used as bases for lights, but this really does not matter as long as the collar (tube) is long enough. Say, three inches. Something like this:

Mount this on the side of the bed using something like this:

Hollow wall anchors may be used, but generally are more problematic and require larger holes to get proper mounting strength in sheet metal. There are lighter duty snap-in type mounts that you might be able to find at an automotive store. These aren't the standard in-stock thing anymore.

Make sure that you smear some silicone on/around the above before attaching mount. Wipe off any excess when screws are snug.

If the mount has existing holes, that are machined/threaded, use those and a thumbscrew to lock the flag in place.

If not, put the flag in the mount and drill a hole through both and use a bolt/nut combo, or if you know how to thread and the material may be threaded, drill a hole in the base and use a thumbscrew.

This is just basic stuff that will help not make it look like a total hack job. Making a reusable sleeve for the plastic flag pole might be doable if you are good with the cut-off wheel of a Dremel.

Reply to
Nightcrawler

I was looking for something less permanent. something I can remove from the bed rail easily.

a pop rivet is pretty permenanet.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

L shaped bracket? I see where you're going with this. stick the flag on the bracket (with gorilla glue) and put the clamp on the bracket to the bed rail.

won't I need rubber strips on the brackets to avoid scratching paint work?

any particular clamp you have in mind?

Reply to
dilbert firestorm