Cat Back Exhaust

Is it worth it? Do you need to go to a higher flow air cleaner and a reprogram to take advantage of it? Any significant benefit to just the higher flow exhaust?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

IMO, none.

Unless - of course - you're driving a lowered honda civic and add some "powered by honda" stickers to the car. In which case that cat-back exhaust goes twice as fast.

However, since you're driving a truck, it will do little to nothing. In order to increase power, you need to increase and cool the air to the engine (CAI), increase the flow of fuel to the engine (programmer) and decrease the backpressure (new headers and complete exhaust).

Reply to
PerfectReign

They sound better.

Otherwise, if a bigger tailpipe or a funky plastic airfoil in the intake would really boost performance or efficiency, wouldn't the manufacturer do it?

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

I don't know about a funky plastic airfoil... that sounds like it would restrict airflow, but its pretty common practice to illegally modify engines by reducing air restrictions at both ends and get a net HP increase when paired with appropriate adjustments in fuel delivery. Motorcycles come to mind. Remember emmissions applies to noise as well as spent waste gases. The sad part with motorcycles is that often the gain can really only be measured on the dyno. Some of the "chip" upgrades fall in the same category.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

all engines seem to prosper when they are able to breathe better--bigger exhaust needs a better intake to balance--think a tuner helps--especially when you want to go fast! My GMC'06 2500 D-max has 4" exhaust with a banks air intake and a Predator tuner--running in the economy/towing mod get 20.1mpg(measured) vs 19.6 when the motor was stock--not really much difference but there sure is a better seat of the pants feeling. Mileage does drop when running the 120hp tune but sure makes folks pissed of when they get shut down by the big truck but the Allison may not like lots of rodding

Buzz

Reply to
2fatbbq

My current "big truck" is a 2500HD extended w/ 6.0L gas motor, and even pulling my boat it has plenty of get up and go. I'm picking up a 1500 4X4 w/ 5.3 and I was exploring some options in case its not enough power. I think it should handle the boat just fine, but I've got a utility trailer that is heavier empty, and I haul equipment in it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe