center bearing

Hello, I have to replace my driveshaft center bearing and I was wondering if the center bearing just slips off or do you have to have it in some kind of press. Thank you..........Ed

Reply to
Ed Atyeo

Normally you need a press or some type of puller to get them off. I've only done a few of them.

Reply to
JBDragon

Get them off isnt the issue. the retaining ring will split with the cold chisel and hammer. The bearing itself can be driven off alternating hits side to side with a hammer and drift. The problem is getting it on. The bearing can be driven on with a piece of black pipe of the correct diameter with a cap on one end and a hammer. But the retaining ring is dicy. If it isnt started perfectly straight, and driven on evenly, it will split. A good drive shaft shop can knock these out right quick, and if its needing a center support, the U-joints probably arent in the greatest shape ether., so why not have it all done at a drive shaft shop if ones available and the balance checked as well? And make sure you mark the two drive shafts so they go back together the same way they came apart if you tackle it yourself, or you'll have vibration and binding issues.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Reply to