Change Oil Indicator

Hello, In the past few days the Change Oil message has been popping up on my odo reader. This is a 06 GMC Sierra 4.8 truck. Anyways I changed the oil about

2000 miles ago, currently only has about 7000 miles on it. Anyone know why it's saying I need my oil changed? Also without much debate, what's a good non-synthetic oil? Does it matter, which I heard different brands aren't that god. Currently I just use Penzoil?

Thanks for any info. Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill

The oil change indicator is by mileage, and while I don't know how to reset it, I'm sure someone here will chime in with how. As to brands, everyone has a favorite. I prefer Kendal, if I cant find Kendal, then I will use Valvaline. I've never been a fan of Quaker State. Sunoco always had a good product, and I am starting to see stations with lube facilities starting to pop up. Filters, stay away from cheap junk, like STP, stay away from Fram. Its awfully hard to beat an AC Delco filter, aftermarket, Wix is pretty good.

is just awrench head that decided to start checking out filters, but its informative,and as he cuts them apart and photos the construction, a picture truly is worth a 1000 words.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Check your manual and you will find an explanation of how it determines you need it changed (short version: mileage and operating conditions), and how to reset it. It is popping up now because it was not rest at the time of the change.

Reply to
Commentator

Good link... I had to bookmark it and forward it onto a few other folks. Good info, Thanks...

~jp

Whitelightn>

is just a> wrench head that decided to start checking out filters, but its informative,> and

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Did you reset it after the Oil got changed the last time? My guess is NO. It doesn't really go by Mileage as much as Engine Revs, and Temp, what not I believe. It usually averages around 7000 miles for me before It tells me I need to change the Oil. The Oil Life Index will start at 100% and work down to 0% and then tell you need to change your Oil. If you have the buttons on your Steering wheel you can see where it's currently at, if not, then it just will let you know when it's time. It more then likely was around 30% left, you changed the oil, and then it just went down to 0% after 2000 miles and the message popped up. Every time you get your Oil change, RESET IT! It's very simple. It's in the owners manual, but really all you need to do it turn the Ignition to the ON position(Don't start the truck) and then push the gas peddle down fully 3 times within 5 seconds. The Oil change message should then go way and be reset to 100% once again.

Reply to
JBDragon

Reply to
Bill