Changing pads on ABS brake vehicles.

Anything special you have to do when changing the pads on a vehicle with ABS brakes?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Depends on the vehicle. Some want the accumulator bleed down(done by pumping the pedal, key off till pedal gets hard) None want you to push the caliper pistons in with out opening the bleeder first..

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I mentioned that once and received quite a few flames from people who said you don't have to do anything special. But I figure there is a lot of little valves and such up in that ABS system and I'd rather not push dirty fluid back up into them when I push the calipers back so I crack open the bleeders just a bit and let it squirt out there. Don't open them so much that you drain the system and let in air though. I've also started doing the same even for our non ABS car, I use that method to get some fresh fluid in.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Thanks guys. That is what I had heard. Now I know. One said to pinch off the brake line also, but I'm not crazy about crushing a brake line. As it gets older that could cause it to start breaking down inside.

Reply to
Bob La Londe