Chev 1500

Hi group.

I never got the response I was hoping for regarding my Chev 1500 truck. (Jan 5th post) I am throwing it out again in a last ditch effort to dig up some advice before I bring it into the dealer. Thanks to luckystrike and "doc" for thier input.

++++++++++++++++++EXCERPT FROM JAN 5th POST I just purchased my first pickup truck a 1997 Chev 1500 shortbox/reg cab, 5 speed, a/c, 2wd 4.3L V6. It has 150,000 km's on it. As far as I know it is completely stock besides a K&N air filter I installed when I purchased it. My question is this: What modifications can I do to this truck, namely to increase power and give the truck a throaty 350 sound while maintaining a relatively moderate budget (sub 1000.00 MAX) and not shaving the head or porting the intake or anything crazy like that. I would also be interested in potentially lowering the vehicle a bit. The second question is: With 150, 000 km's on the truck, and not knowing any service history, what should I do in terms or a tune-up? Plugs/wires, cap/rotor, pcv valve, fuel filter, manual tranny (gear) oil, etc..... Is there any problem areas with this particular truck I should be aware of?

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I have a 1996 C1500 with the V-6 @ 96K miles and don't plan on keeping it. It will not tow what I need. As far as lowering, the smallest leaf was taken out of the rear springs, and it gives it a level appearance. They do make kits for the slammed look too. I have searched for a set of headers for this truck, and while I found only ONE set, they were about $400, PLUS another $400 for a custom exhaust so I stopped looking. I was not going to put that money into a "temporary" truck. A workmate has a similar truck and has put the Hypertech chip in his and says it made a big difference in the way it runs.

Tune up is relatively easy. CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER!!! I learned the hard way. I didn't have time to get to it when I did the rest of my tune up, and I just had to replace the fuel pump. Now it could have been coincidence, but when I did change the pump and filter, the filter was about clogged tight. Cost is not bad for all the parts for the tune up. Buy regular AC Deldo plugs, and DECENT cap, rotor and wires. Don't buy the "made in Mexico" crap from Advance. Spend the extra and get AC Delco, or NAPA's Belden parts. Don't forget the Air filter and the oil change. My truck HATES regular unleaded, but loves mid grade. It is running great right now, I hope it is not the calm before the storm.

Another thing....keep an ear out for the bearing to go on your AC pump. it is not hard to change, and I was told (by this group) that it is common.

Have fun.....I'll be upgrading to an 04 Silverado V-8 here in the near future

Reply to
Eightupman

I replies to your post. Here is a repost of my reply.

Replies inline....................

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich" Newsgroups: alt.trucks.chevy Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 2:20 AM Subject: 97 chev 1500

First thing's first, remove that piece of shit filter. They don't filter worth a crap and the "extra" airflow can't be used by your engine anyways.

There is nothing you can do to make it sound like a 350 with only six cylinders. You can add a performance dual exhaust system with Flowmasters or something like that, it'll sound better, but it'll still sound like a

6-cylinder. Not much per way of bolt-ons that will help you out. For $1295 you can get a 260 HP GM 350 with warranty. Other than that there isn't much you can do to a CPI injected 4.3 to get more out of her.

Exhaust will make her quicker, so will a nice tune-up. Also, I'd recommend RESTORE oil additive which will restore compression to like new levels. Use with every oil change.

Drop the rear end 2" to level her out and leave it be. Anything more than that and it loses both functionality, you lose the respect of every other truck driver on the road. Lowering shackles can be had for $70 at Summit.

I'd do a complete tune-up (plugs, wires, cap and rotor), oil change, tranny lube change, rear end fluid change, fuel filter, PCV, coolant flush, new t-stat and rad cap. A brake fluid flush might also be in order if it's never been changed.

You're welcome.

Reply to
"Doc"

Reply to
Mouse

Reply to
reitze

Well that's a good story but the chip you installed has zero, zilch, nada to do with your fuel gauge. Your MPG may go down but the chip has absolutely nothing to do with how the gauge works. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Maybe it was communicating via radio waves?????????????/ ;-)

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

mmm... don't think so. But how you been Doc? How's the El Camino coming along? Bob

Reply to
Bob

I'm doing well Bob, how about yourself? It's too bloody cold to work on the Elky right now. I have a 65K BTU torpedo but the metal takes too damned long to heat up to a temp where my hands don't freeze to it. Spring is gunna have the 350 in it now rebuilt and dumped in my C1500, by summer I should have all the chassis and bodywork done. After that it's a BBC and shitloads of fun. I'll post a link to pics when she's worth looking at.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"