Chev 89 Sudden Power Steering Fluid Loss

So I'm driving my 1989 Silverado 1 ton dually on the highway when I notice the smell of my power steering fluid cooking on the hot parts of the engine and exhaust.

I loose power assist on both my steering and brakes.

I have checked out all the hoses and connections and they all apear to be fine. Keep in mind I've never had this problem and dont know what to look for. Its just a mess of fluid everywhere near all the steering components.

any ideas on what to look for, or do, or what has happened here?

thanks

Reply to
rescue252

My advice, back to basics, clean it all off(not fun i know) have someone start it and see where it leaks from, may not be obvious but it doesn't take much of an opening at that pressure to lose a whole lot of fluid.

rescue252 wrote:

Reply to
89GMC

Thanks for the advice! I did put some more fluid in, and left it for about an hour, and when i returned the fluid was on the ground! I didnt take any pressure at all. I'm thinking it may be a pump seal or a bad seal in the reservoir. possibly rotten somewhere?

Reply to
rescue252

If it looks like a lot of the fluid is spilling out over the steering gear, you might try disconnecting the pressurized hose from the steering gear end to see if the o-ring that needs to be on the end of the hose connection has disintegrated or torn. If this o-ring goes bad, the power steering fluid will definitely leak. Still, from your description, it sounds like the volume of your leak is more then what a defective o-ring would produce, so you might need to change out the entire pressure hose. Anyway, checking the condition of the o-ring is a good place to start.

Reply to
86GMC

Burst hose.

Reply to