Chevy 307 oil leak

Hi all, I am new to the group here and need some help. My son and I bought a 68 Chevy short bed to fix up for him to drive. Alot of work has already been done to it but then it just sat for three years. I started going through the engine, it has been rebuilt, V8 307 CID but I wanted to clean out the gas tank, fuel lines, change oil and filter etc... After that we tried to start it and had a huge oil leak at the oil filter. Turns out that it was the oil filter adapter, it was cracked. I replaced the adapter and still leaks oil bad. How can I get the oil leak fixed? How much torque is required for the adapter, it only has two bolts in it. Should it only be snug like the filter? Did I maybe over tighten it? Thanks for any and all help.

Reply to
8thegreat

Could it be the wrong filter (or wrong adapter) for the filter? Just a thought Frank

8thegreat wrote:

Reply to
Frank S.

I checked all that, the parts and filter are correct, I think maybe I over torqued it. I am going to try it again today with much less torque.

Reply to
8thegreat

Unless I'm remembering wrong, the chevy "oil filter adaptor" is just an aluminum piece with two bolts through it and a threaded nipple for the filter. Right? Well if this is all correct, the it all resides within the confines of the oil filter gasket itself and overtightening it would make no difference. I'd be checking the machined area the oil filter adaptor rides on and make sure your using a good filter. Like an A/C like the engine came with. Not no junky fram, wix, or other such thing.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I meant to say "I'd be checking the machined area the oil filter GASKET rides on"

Reply to
Steve Barker