Chevy 5 speed

does anyone know of a site to order a transmission for chevy vehicles that are hmm how do i say this, uh priced for people who have a meger salary but just want a transmission that works! i have tried going to my local chevy dealer but to pay 5 grand is like out of the question for about mm 3 years? mine is a 85 if that helps but i would like to put in a modern 5 speed in it and right now ebay doesn't really have any as of yet

Reply to
William C.

sidewinder

Reply to
William C.

William,

Have you tried your local junkyard? That would be my first stop. You may try

, but I don't think they carry any trannys older than '88 for GM trucks.

Kyle

Reply to
KB

Reply to
William C.

in theory the body of a 88 and 85 isn't to different in respect to transmissions right? so if i get a 5 speed that goes to a 88 it should go as long as the cross memeber fits right and i have the right

i will be straight with you i am trying my best to get away from the 700R4 or 4L60 transmission cause i really don't like them plus i haven't really been a automatic kind of guy plus i am trying to squeeze it into a suburban which i don't think has been done before

Reply to
William C.

are you going auto to manual or replacing a saginaw 3 or 4 speed? you can use a 5 sp out of pretty much any year chevy/gmc that had one. the one to look for would be a NV4500 out of a '93 or later c/k truck (hell, you can actually use a NV4500 out of a Dodge pickup with some minor adapting). the earlier Getrag's will work but aren't as durable. go to

they pretty much can tell you what can be used with what.

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Reply to
William C.

well, there are no "gas" or "diesel" manual trannies (autos are governed differently for the lower RPM limits of a diesel). you're looking for a creeper 4 speed or a 5 speed then, right? if you want a 4 speed, look for a SM465 or an SM420 (can be found in any of the big 3 from the late 40's to the late 80's from 3/4 tons to 5 ton medium duty trucks). otherwise, a getrag 5 speed was in the '87-92 trucks and the NV4500 was found in '93 up trucks. the earlier NV4500's have a lower 1st gear. basically,mount the 5 speed, move the tranny mount to where it has to be, bolt it in (drilling if necessary). then get a driveshaft made ( or call a junkyard and see if they know of a driveshaft that'll work.)

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

i am gonna get a 5 speed cause i plan to and i know it isn't adviseable but i am planning to pull my racecar trailer with it so i think a 5 speed is the answer plus the truck is getting old looking and i don't wanna put too much money in it just wanna get it running good so least someone might buy it the way it is now i am the only one who knows how to shift it when i went to get it inspected the guy asked me how to shift it and i said it's 4 speed thinking that was all he needed to know

Reply to
William C.

oh i forgot to mention there is no such thing as a manual transmission in the junkyard least not the kind where you pull it out yourself i mean these guys make there money on going to junkyards when they see a new vehicle in and rip out a 4 or 5 speed and sell it to a tranny shop and get like 350 bucks for it so no truck in any junkyard for 500 miles has one i mean i was lucky to see that camaro with a 4 speed which isn't what i want but if it has a lower 1st gear i would take it

oh anyone think rearend gear has anything to do with the way it goes cause my rearend gear is a 2.93 i believe i will have to check again

Reply to
William C.

Reply to
sidewinder

Reply to
William C.

perhaps where you live it is that way, but here in Maine, most trucks still have the trannies in them, esp the big C60s and similar. the local tranny shops around here don't buy cores unless it's a really rare tranny or a brand spanking new design, otherwise they're got piles off them in the back of the shop.

the rear end gear has everything to do with the trucks performance. a super high gear like a 2.73 won't be able to haul more than a ream of paper or tow said ream on a roller skate. swaping to a 3.73 or a 4.10 will make a world of difference esp since you plan on towing with it.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

side question my truck jolts REALLLY bad when i am not on the gas you know if i am just trying to go a certain speed or just let go of the petal it jerks back and forth and i think the rear end combined with something that the carb is messing up

message

Reply to
William C.