Chevy Astro

I was considering purchasing a new Astro Cargo van and modifying it for my personal needs (camping and household chore type things). Anyone own one and how is it holdng up?

Did 'some' reading and so far found a pretty loyal following. I understand they are going to discontinue this one? It's a shame cause the big ones Ford , Chevy and Sprinter are too big for my needs and with gas so high, I think a smaller rear wheel drive cargo van is the way businesses would like to go if they can.

Reply to
Charles Pisano

I have a 97 AWD since new. It has about 90,000 miles now. Only good for the first three years. starting at the fourth year, after warrenty expired, everything started breaking down.

Power window motors replaced both side. year 4 Engine Intake manifold coolant leak. year 4 Power door lock switch not working. year 4 Front air vents no air coming out.year 4 Windsheild Wiper don't work. year 4 engine oil cooler line leaking. year 4 replaced alternator, no charging. year 4 Cat converter rattling noise. year 4 ignition coil went south arcing. year 4 water pump went south, seal leaking through the weep hole. year 5 fan belt tensioner fell apart year 5 loose steering idler arm both side year 5 inside gas tank electric fuel pump died year 6 front drive pinion seal leaking year 6 this truck eats brake rotors like no to-morrow, it requires new rotors every 2 years due to the rusting pits on the inside surface. plus so many other stuffs that went wrong for the last 7 years, I don't remember all of them. I wanted to get rid of it at year 5, but the trade in value of this van is peanuts. Looking back now, I should of traded it then.

So, do you still want to buy this P.O.S.

Reply to
kainip

I've read on edmunds where others complained about the fuel pump burning up and the rotors and bad fuel mileage????. I guess I don't want one. It sounds like my 95 chevy blazer. Every thing went wrong on that as well, especially (like you said) after the warranty expired.

I guess I'll have to wait till honda or toyota come out with a practical smaller 'cargo' van I can rig the way I want it. When I first saw the Scion B I though maybe. But upon closer inspection....8>(

The size and weight of the Astro would be perfect if only GM didn't build it. I did test drive one and it did seem to remind me of my blazer (not a good feeling). It shares the same drive train as well I think.

I sure do see a lot of them here in Florida. One for sale in the paper the lady said "we decided to go another way" as her reason to sell. They are also moving out of town. So, I guess they wont have to 'live with' anyone they sell it to.

Thanks

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3273.bay.webtv.net...

I have a feeling that was your feeling from the get go,. and as such hit the road First thing, the Astro is the only true "Mini" van on the market period, end of discussion. Its a truck, not an over sized station wagon masquading as a van. The 4.3 is diehard tried and true, and if it doesnt go at least 300,000 miles the owner abused it and didnt take care of it. It is a truck and as such its geared to haul loads and pull trailers. Its also a box going through the wind, so yeah it isnt going to get 30 mpg on the highway. In all AWD vehicles the gas mileage will be lower, just as it is on any 4x4 or AWD vehicle, more resitance in the drive train, means less fuel mileage. Last outfit I worked for had three Astros for computer techs to use for service calls, different people driving them everyday and had no issues with them, two had over 200,000 miles when I left the company in 2003, all three are still on the road. So try a Nissan, worst can happen is they will recall every single one and give you a $500 credit towards the purchase of new Nissan product like they did in the 90's Or go for the toyota mini, they burn up engines, and then refuse to warranty them if you didnt have the oil changed at toyota, but what the heck, its jap built it has to be better. There are numerous reports of this problem on consumers affairs web site, as well as edmunds. The Honda Oddesy has had tansmission recalls, and recalls for fuel pump failures, and its only been out 4 years, the recalls started the first year. Also there have been numerous reports of the rear seat suddenly collapsing back into its storage well, taking its occupants with it.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I have a 2000 Astro, I wouldnt trade it for any other small van. Only one minor problem so far.

Reply to
Scott

I have a 97 AWD and it has been the best car I've owned yet. I have 4 kids, we get in and go. It does everything I want it to including taking it on the beach. It may not get the best mileage (17 mpg) but there is no situation where I wished I drove something else.

shields

Re: Chevy Astro- RUT RO Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, Jul 12, 2005, 3:41am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Whitelightning)

---I have a feeling that was your feeling from the get go,. and as such hit the road--

Psychic 'and' hostile. Those 2 don't usually go together??

Reply to
Charles Pisano