chevy brakes

I have a chevy 3/4 truck (1994). I wanted to put rear brakes on it but unsure of how the drum comes off. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
jeffcjmc

back off of the parking brake and beat the crap out of it with a BIG hammer

Reply to
Sigwings

It looks like the axles are going to have to be pulled.

Reply to
jeffcjmc

get a bigger hammer...

Reply to
Sigwings

No. First make sure the brakes adjustment is backed off, because there will be a lip on the drum surface. Then take a propane torch and heat the drum up around the axle hub/flange, keep the flame away from the hub/flange as much as possible. the idea is to expand the drum. After a few seconds it will literally "pop" and slide off on its own if you have a good torch.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

is it possible that his 3/4 ton has floating axles? Does your truck have a bunch of small bolts in a circle around the hub?

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

I beleive there are 8 bolts in the center of the hub. I have changed several sets of brakes before but never any where I had to pull the axle. I pulled the axle but there must be something else that has to be done. I should have been a little clearer about the setup on my earlier post but I thought all 3/4 tons were the same.

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
jeffcjmc

I'm assuming this is a Chevy or GMC due to the name of this newsgroup. I've got a '93 Chevy 3/4 ton and I'm too lazy, (and it's raining), to go out and look. But I seem to remember when I did my rear drum brakes that there was a cutout in the brake backing plate where I ran the adjusters back in with a brake tool. Then the drums slid right off. Never heard of the "heat the drum" trick, but that just might work. Pretty neat trick if it does.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

Yes, there is a bearing inside just like front rotors (only bigger). There is something that locks the "nut" (that hold the bearing in) from turning. sorry, but I don't remember off hand how exactly it is set up I would have to look at it to recall.(memory like a goldfish :)) Anyway, you need to get that "nut" to turn out (counter clockwise) then the bearing will come right out and the drum will fall off. Before all this, look carefully to make sure the drum doesn't come off of the hub first.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

I got the brakes changed. After the axle was pulled there was a retaining ring that comes off. Then there is a square pin that slides out then the big nut comes off. After that it was like any other brakes. I also replaced the rear seals (don,t know if that was necessary ) but did it anyway. Thanks for all the help. Thanks a lot Jeff

Reply to
jeffcjmc

Cool! seals are cheap so what the hell, you know...??...

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Reply to
none2u

Are you talking about the bearing nut in the rear hub? If so you pull the axle to get to the bearing, yes...

Reply to
ShoeSalesman