Chevy G20 Van running rich, but getting code 44 (lean exhaust)

Dear All,

My 1990 Chevy G20 is running very rich (to the point of suffocation within 1 mile radius!!)

The engine is a 5.7L V8 TBI and I keep getting error code 44 (which according to my Haynes manual means "lean exhaust" measured by the Oxygen sensor mounted in the exhaust manifold. Clearly, it's not running lean and my first thought would be a faulty O2 sensor as I think the ECU is running the engine with a rich mixture to overcompensate. However, before I replace it, does anyone have any ideas (apart from a faulty ECU) what might cause this to happen? Is there a way I can test whether the O2 sensor is operating properly and sending back the right information?

(I'm in the UK so sourcing parts is not as easy or cheap as in the USA!! I'd rather investigate and order the right bit first time!!)

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris C

Is the engine equipped with an air pump?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

You likely have a bad O2 Sensor. The sensor has failed lean, causing the computer to richen the mixture.

KenG

Chris C wrote:

Reply to
KENG