Chevy/GMC - Suburban/Yukon

Hi Folks,

I need some help. We're gonna be buying our first full size SUV in august, and I'm trying to figure out what I want.

Is there a site I can go to that will help me decide which full size GMC SUV would be best for me?

We'll have $15,000 to $20,000 to spend, so it'll be used. Probably

2002 or 2003. What warranty options could I get for it if it's still under factory, (which it should be, right?)

Heavy towing, (6,000 to 7,000 lb. boat), a must, as is 4WD. Six in our family means we need seating for seven or eight. We'd like to try Onstar as well, any opinions on it?

What years were the body style transitions? I don't like the newest ones, and they look a little smaller.

What engine/tranny options should I consider, and what ones should I watch out for?

I see some with twin swing doors on the back, and others with a tip up rear window/tailgate setup. Any problems with either?

Thanks Donny

Donny

I'll just comment on the last. If you have large, bulky items to carry in the back, the tailgate is the way to go. Just stick a red flag on what hangs out. I have the full size Blazer. It gives me over 4 feet between the wheel wells so I use it like a pickup, IE hauling plywood, etc. If, OTOH, your typical loads would be small items, such as tool box, luggage, camping gear, etc, then you are better off with the doors. It's much easier to reach in and get stuff without crawling over the tailgate. I don't think, however, that the rear doors have been offered in a long time on the Suburban.

The ideal solution is where there is only one lift back hatch. It's the best feature on our Explorer.

Reply to
John Alt

All new full size Suburbans/Yukon XL and Tahoes/Yukons have available rear cargo doors that open sideways or a rear hatch that you can open only the window or raise the entire door upwards out of your way. The only problem with the latter of the two is if you open it while parked in the garage, the lift gate will probably hit the garage door like mine does.

Reply to
Lugnut

Seating for more than 6 is gonna have to be a Burban. I doubt that you can find a 02 or 03 for less than than $20,00, but I would definitely look for a

3/4 if you are going to pull a trailer and loaded down. Much better transmission in the 3/4 ton. tad
Reply to
ottertailfamily

Hi Lugnut,

OK, this is a small problem. How do I tell the difference? (Besides reading the chrome!) The Suburban is Chevy, the Yukon is GMC, but both the same vehicle, right? How does the Tahoe compare with the Suburban, size and capacity wise? Or is it:

Chevy Suburban = GMC Yukon XL -and- Chevy Tahoe = GMC Yukon?

I hadn't thought about the rear door that lifts up. Kinda like a hatch back, right? This sounds like the way to go.

Parked outside, so this won't be a problem.

Thanks.

Reply to
Donny

Thanks, John.

We considered the Explorer, but it's too small. Maybe the Excursion.

I think the hatch wins with us as well. Maybe I can find one.

Donny

Reply to
Donny

Thanks, Tad, this helps a lot. Why is the tranny better? I mean besides probably being beefier, are there mechanical problems with the smaller tranny? And what are the names of my choices, so I can make sure I get the right one?

Donny

Reply to
Donny

Those hatches do have a problem, though it isn't very common. It's hard to put stuff in with a fork lift, the tower hits the door every time.... The barn doors put a big bar in the middle of your sight.....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ
4LE60 1/2 ton 4LE80 3/4 ton

The prior has some funky problems, and the latter does too but fewer. TransSurgeon could tell you it all. But if your going to tow that much and load it down with all your people and gear, you'll want something with some WEIGHT and with some stopping POWER to keep all your 'ittle brats safe....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Sorry, place the E at the end of the name....

4L60E 4L80E

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

You got it!!!

Chevy Suburban = GMC Yukon XL -and- Chevy Tahoe = GMC Yukon?

Reply to
Lugnut

I guess it's what ever works for you. I have the cargo doors on My wife's 97 Yukon and we tow a 20 ft sailboat. I would have trouble rigging the sailboat using the gin pole arrangement if it had the raising tailgate. The doors easily clear the surge brakes on the trailer and make loading/unloadng supplies a snap. I have also hauled several 4X8 sheets or plywood with no problems. The ply fit between the doors without having to have them open farther than the width of the truck. A pair of bungies keep the doors snug against the plywood to prevent swinging/banging. On another note, the 3rd seat option for the Yukon makes for a cramped ride. For a family of 6 plus a friend or two, I would go with the Suburban or Yukon XL. BTW, I checked out your boat pics. You got a really good deal on your Trojan. Good Luck with it. JR

Reply to
JR

I've only seen the new models with the liftgate, no tailgate. Not sure on the barn doors though, I thought I had seen a few around here...

Reply to
Mike Levy

And for that matter, GMC Yukon Denali = Cadillac Escalade.

Reply to
Stan

Hmm...loading groceries with a fork lift. Why didn't I think of that!!! (With four boys, we might need that).

We probably won't have to use a fork lift to load anything, but this is the kind of info I need, thanks.

We had barn doors on an older Chevy Astro, and I didn't mind them much, but the flip up window/dutch doors on our later one is a big improvement.

Any other tips?

Reply to
Donny

So the biggest ones are the Suburban/Yukon XL's, and the slightly smaller ones are the Tahoe/Yukon's, right?

I definitely think the bigger is what we need. I drove by a 1997 Tahoe on a lot this morning, and we'd never fit. I bet the towing is less as well, right?

Thanks!

Reply to
Donny

All right now, Stan, you're just trying to throw a wrench into the delicate inner workings of my mind, right?!

The GMC Yukon Denali is just a trim/options package for the GMC Yukon, right? (Which is smaller than a GMC Yukon XL, right?)

Maybe I should buy a Ford! J/K

Thanks

Reply to
Donny

This shouldn't be a problem, as the trailer tongue seems to have lots of room up in front of the Brake assembly, but I'll test fit it during my test drive, just to be sure. I NEVER would have though of something like this, so this really helps, thanks.

Yup, we're pretty much decided we need the full size truck.

Thanks, she's a labor of love, to be sure. It's like it was waiting for us all along. We must have driven by that marina 20 times on trips all over Northern NY state looking at other boats, only to be disappointed. Watch for deck refinishing with Honey Teak, (if you own a boat with any wood, you REALLY should look into this stuff), dual batts and charger, and a complete toilet/septic tank refit this spring on the website. I intend to post a lot of pics about it there.

Donny

1974 Trojan Sea Raider 25'

Donny

How about it, TransSurgeon, what should I watch for with tranny choices in 2000 and above full size 3/4 ton Suburban's?

Trailer has surge brakes, and it's new last year, and they work well. I agree about keeping the brats safe, but if you were to look up into my 16 year old's nose hairs, (6'5"), you wouldn't EVER call him little! HAHA!

Thanks Donny

Reply to
Donny

Got it, thanks KJ!