Chevy LUV

Hey group, I'm wondering what the similarities between the early 80's Chevy Luvs and the Isuzu Pups from the same time period? More specifically the

2.2 liter diesel engines.
Reply to
DaveJr

Same vehicle.

The 2.2 diesel is virtually indestructible.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I would LUV to get my hands on one of those Pups...2.2L diesel 4x4!

Sorry for the puns, but I AM serious!

Reply to
Shades

It has been very good little truck. The first owner gave it to me as he was a friend of the family. All is good on 73K motor except the alternator.

Reply to
DaveJr

"DaveJr" wrote in message news:yOLOd.10$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net...

The only weak point in the engine is the valve train. This a belt driven over head cam engine. The belt of course turns the cam shaft.the cam shaft moves rocker arms that act direct on the valve stems. The rocker arms ride on a shaft that is bolted to "cups" that are a part of the bearing caps that hold the cam in place. If the belt breaks, piston hits valves, and the cups snap off the bearing caps. The cylinder head has to be replaced, Isuzu would not sell just the caps. I can some what understand that, as the number of people who would just slap a set of caps on with out having the assembly lined bored, would be legion in numbers. The engine was used in pup trucks, luv trucks, the I-Mark sedans, and chevy chevettes. I say weak point because I have replaced numerous heads on all of these vehicles where the reported cause of failure was bouncing a drive wheel, like hitting a curb, and when the wheel came down and hit the pavement the belt would ether strip at the crank gear, or out right snap, or in a couple of 4x4's cases, getting them air born. Other than that I agree they are a tuff little engine, I only saw one that grenade, I pulled the head off a chevette in a junkyard and number three piston was side ways in the bore. Now then something I haven't investigated, Isuzu produced 2.2 ltr diesel engines for ThermoKing reefer units for a lot of years from early 80's through at least 2000 ..........

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I still want a 4x4 diesel short box Luv/Pup...hehehe

Reply to
Shades

had a 81 i think it was, all i can say it was a great lil truck, until i totalled it after hitting a deer and rolling it, it only had 174,### miles when i did that and ran like it was new. never did anything to it but oil changes and one clutch.

Reply to
Charles H.