Chevy S-10 Spark Plug hole repair

Well... I did it. Cross-threaded an aluminum head by misaligning my number 4 spark plug.

Threads are damaged to a moderate degree. I assume the threads towards the bottom are fine. I managed to crank in a new plug, I had no choice..... need the vehicle.

It runs *okay*, in other words, maybe slightly rougher idle, no engine warning light... but with a *slight* oil leak. Nothing more than a couple drops in the spark plug hole.

I am more or less content to leave it there forever if need be, BUT, I don't like a vehicl that isn't right.

Can this bad boy be repaired without removing the head? I've done research that says it can simply be fixed by using a thread chaser, and greasing it up real good to catch any metal particles.

What is the proper procedure to use a thread chaser?

Also... IF the threads are too far gone, can a rethread be done without head removal.... I want to cover all my bases.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Reply to
John L. Wilkerson Jr.

A cross threaded plug doesnt cause an oil leak. If your leaking oil its probably a bad valve cover gasket.

If you hadn't cranked the plug on in anyway then there was a small chance that the thread chaser would have worked. At this point I would try that first with no expectations that it was going to work. Your probably looking at a helicoil at this point for the repair.

(not necessarilythe size you need).

The worst thing that can happen at this point is that the threads are not strong enough to hold the plug in and the plug blows out of the head. If I were the only one driving it I would probably just leave it be until next time I have to change the plugs. If anyone else had to drive it that I would worry about then I would go ahead and fix it properly.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Steve B. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

OK.... thanks. I figure if the plug is launched, then I'll look at further action. I think I can be content to leave things alone.

Reply to
John L. Wilkerson Jr.

Heli-coils are supposed to be stronger than the normal threads (in aluminum at least?)

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin