Chip

What are your thoughts about chipping? I have a 2000 Silverado PU with the

5.3l V8.

Any recommendations?

Reply to
James Del Mul

On a bone-stock motor, completely useless. Think of it this way. If there was a way to get better MPG AND more power at the same time, don't you think GM would have done that in the first place?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

NO they probably would not. why would they spend the extra $200 for the kit, ,per vehicle, when they already have met the minimum requirements for performance. They would also like to keep the performance lower to keep insureance rates down.

Look at it this way, why doesn't GM put headers and dual exhaust on thier trucks, when we all know it increases performance in most cases. I can also attest to the fact that a camshaft change will also increase performance and MPG in some cases as well. Why doesn't GM do that? To keep manufacturing costs down.

Reply to
Eightupman

Can't the duramax gain something like 120HP and some similar ridiculous amount of torque from JUST a chip change alone?

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

yep, but it will kill a diesel in about 20K...NOT recommended to chip a diesel

manufacturing

Reply to
Eightupman

I'm not saying you are wrong, but whats your proof?

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Well, I have no viable proof. But what I do know is that I have seen two people that I work with chip their diesels. Both were Fords. Oh yeah it kicked ass, until both of them broke rods due to too much fuel being introduced. Both guys had to replace the motor out of pocket, as one voided his warranty. One truck was 28K (put the chip on around 10K). The other guy had an older truck, but still under 50K I think, with the chip put on around 20K earlier. They guys are friends and replaced the chips at the same time. They blew up about 6 months apart.

I also know that the Ford techs that they brought the trucks to knew exactly what they had done, even AFTER the guys removed the chips and went back to OEM configuration.

A well taken care of diesel will go 500K or more. So with two catastrophic failures after chipping, you tell me.

So, being that I only believe 25% that I read, half of what I see, and all that I experience; that is proof for me.

Reply to
Eightupman

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D (which enticed) drummer snipped-for-privacy@mail.com (Adair=A0Winter) to ask:

I'm not saying you are wrong, but whats your proof?

Adair

=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D I've already seen "8-ups" response to Adairs question, which seemed logical enough, and knowing "8-ups" tendencies toward being somewhat pessimistic and untrusting of second hand info, his response and experience on his warning of not to "chip" a diesel seemed justified. It also got me curious enough to do a basic google on the subject.

Now.....as with "8-up", I also don't fall for everything I see or hear, and am most often overly cautious with what I know to be fact.... only because fact often changes from one scenario to another. (I'm still somewhat hesitant to go dumping Mobile 1 oil into a tranny, even though Gary G. has proven to himself it works, and has proven to me he knows his stuff)

With this in mind.....if found this archived thread to be interesting, and the author of the "quoted" second post in the thread seemed to know his sh*t, and made a perty good "common sense" argument against doing it.

any whooo..... you read it... and take it for what it's worth.

Google Search: diesel engine chip

Address:

*&selm=3D20000928183552.02374.00000039%40ng-xa1.ao=l.com&rnum=3D2

~:~ Marsh ~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

What are your thoughts about chipping? I have a 2000 Silverado PU with the

5.3l V8.

Any recommendations?

Reply to
James Del Mul

Now.....as with "8-up", I also don't fall for everything I see or hear, and am most often overly cautious with what I know to be fact.... only because fact often changes from one scenario to another. (I'm still somewhat hesitant to go dumping Mobile 1 oil into a tranny, even though Gary G. has proven to himself it works, and has proven to me he knows his stuff)

With this in mind.....if found this archived thread to be interesting, and the author of the "quoted" second post in the thread seemed to know his sh*t, and made a perty good "common sense" argument against doing it.

Interesting article. While I am unsure of the exact diagnosis of the failure, the rod failure was to blame due to any or all of the conditions listed in that article. I can see where the excess fuel may not burn and cause a hydraulic condidtion, or even the power being much more than the rods were rated for. Now I could see the possibilities if the motor was engineered for that (stronger rods/crank) but to stay cost effective would probably not be feasable for the standard diesel vehicle.

Reply to
Eightupman

Well, all that I know is that you need to do your homework. What other modifications do you plan on making to the truck, what kind of driving do you do. I know that there is more than one way to manipulate the OBDII computers, BUT you have to buy the correct hardware (laptop, and diagnostic port adaptors) and purchase the correct "troubleshooting" software that you can use to manipulate timing and fuel to weed out problems in the vehicle. (Any GM tech out there may have used it??) While you may gain performance, you may stray to far out of what the motor was engineered for if you do not know what you are doing. You will loose mileage, because that "boost" that you get will cause you to press on the pedal with more fervor.

I know chips for the older electronics worked great, ,and they were basically plug and play. The new system (I believe) still requires some tweaking once the chip is installed. I have not looked at chips for over a year now, but I thought there was either two different chips, OR you had two separate settings (one to tow and one to go) I just can't remember as I type.

Good luck if you go for it, but I do not think you will have problems if you do.

Reply to
Eightupman

I was thinking about going with a westers garage tuned computer. Any one here used them?

Reply to
James Del Mul

Well for one, you can not get chips anymore for vehicles today. Maybe older ones. but not today. Hypertech and Superchips make them, they plug into the OBD II port under the dash and they reprogram the engine. They store the stock program so if at anytime you want to remove the programming you can do so, it does not void warranty. Even if it did, you program the vehicle back to stock before you take it in for service. They cant tell its ever been touched. So if your looking for some faster acceleration, getting rid of that speed limiter cut out, and maybe a lil better fuel milage, go with either Hypertech or Superchips. I like Hypertech myself, only nice thing about Superchips is that you can read and clear trouble codes stored in the ecm. Seletct Hypertech Power Programmers allow you to also. So I dont care what anyone says, unless they own one, and have power tuned a vehicle, then they really cant speak. As for Diesels, I do not know. But I know a gasoline engine has no effect.

Kiel Uyttenhove

Reply to
calhoun

I did a little google search and can not find HPtuner software's site. Do you have a link?

Reply to
James Del Mul

Try this, you might find this interesting.

Kiel Uyttenhove

Where is the chevy truck on the list of autos?? I missed it someway?

Reply to
jimnluna

Ahh, there isn't any, I guess I should have looked harder before I posted that link, more foreign vehicles than domestic, sorry.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

Yeah, that is the way the new system works. It is fine for the gas powered stuff.

Reply to
Eightupman

Link as requested:

calhoun