Cig lighter/acc outlet - how to wire to shut off with ignition?

I am working with several Silverado type pickups in the 1999~2005 range. It appears that all the cigarette lighter/accessory power ports are hot all the time. Some of the field guys leave things plugged in and turned on and run down the vehicle batteries when the engine is not running. So I am trying to figure out how to rewire them to shut off when the ignition is turned off. I have found the appropriate fuses in the fuse block under the hood but I can't seem to find anything under there that isn't hot all the time that I could wire to. Anybody with specific knowledge as to the best way to do this? JELo

Reply to
jelo

splice off the radio hot wire when turned on to your cig lighter with a inline fuse that will work

Reply to
tudysmuck

There is no radio hot wire, at least not on my 04. They now use a data bus that tells the radio when to turn on and off. Makes it a bitch to add an amp to the stock system.

Reply to
Sigwings

Hook it to the RADIO FUSE

Reply to
no one

Reply to
Frank S.

Yes, that's the BEST way to go. Pickup a heavy duty

12-Volt/30-Amp relay at any auto parts (~$4) or electronics store(~$6). The male spade terminals at the bottom of the relay are usually labeled:

(86) To switch [tap off radio or "ignition on" wire]

(85) To ground - this completes the primary circuit from 86 above which energizes the coil that "clicks" the relay ON

(30 or 51) Fused power [cut the red/hot wire and connect the battery-side cut-wire to this terminal]

(87 and 87A) To load/accessory [connect the cigarette lighter-side cut-wire to this terminal]

I use 18-ga wire for 86 & 85. Depending on the application, I sometimes put an in-line fuse (1-Amp fast acting/quick blow) between the tap and 86. Remember that the total load for 87 + 87A (if 87A exists) is 30 Amps.

Good luck. Franko

wire off the

1999~2005

lighter/accessory power ports

plugged in

engine is not

to shut off

appropriate fuses in

anything under

Anybody with

Reply to
Franko

On my 94 all of the fuses are always on. They are now using the data bus to turn things on and off. Not nearly as simple as things used to be.

Reply to
Sigwings

On the 2003 up you could use one of the many SEO switched pins in the midbec.

Reply to
Eugene Nine