clucking sound when only turning right

my daily routine is start the truck pull out of the driveway than turn right thats when i hear that dreaded sound like a "tock" about 3 or 4 times than when i straighten out no noise! I have greased all the front fittings but did not anything that suggests that somethings loose.This is a 2001 silverado 4 wheel drive , any hints to where else i can check would be appreciated before i give up and send it in for repair. Sincerely, John

Reply to
John

sounds like it might be a CV joint going bad.

Reply to
Scott M

it is a CV goin bad.....

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

Reply to
GM Tech

If the clunk is comming from your drive axle.

  1. Check the cv joints.
  2. Check the axle nuts. They may be loose.
  3. Check steering components ( Sounds like you already did that one )
  4. Check for play in axle flange. Axle shaft bearing could be shot.

I have a 99 z71, about 18 months ago I had a clunk. Both front axle nuts were loose, even though they were never touched since leaving the factory. The driver's side was especially loose causing the clunk. My uncle has a 2000 z71 and when we did his breaks last winter, I checked his and they were not to spec (165 ft-lbs). A quick way to check is to put the front on jackstands, grab the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and try to rock the wheel back and forth. There should be no play. I now have another clunk and determined that its the axle shaft bearing/seal. I will be changing that this weekend. Probably the premature failure of the bearing is related to the axle nut being loose. I also had to replace the hub last year when my abs started activating on dry pavement which I attribute to the axle nut being loose.

Reply to
Erik

When you say "z71", do you mean '99 Chevy pickup with the z71 trim package?

Reply to
Steve Barker

No, he means a Dodge.

Reply to
KB

z71 denotes the trim packagae but also denotes that its a 4x4 and I'm also pretty sure that it denotes a 1500. I did once see a new style silverado 2500 with z71 stickers on it, but I think the owner must have put them on himself. I don't think the z71 package is/was available on the 2500. Anyone know if this is true?

Reply to
Erik

there is also a tsb on the front crossmember havin burrs on it I came acrrossed it just remove the front crossmember and grind down where the bolt holes are on the member and on the frame put sometype of lube and problem was solved but your problem sounds like a classic cv joint problem.the shaft to be lubed will make a clunk sound while just turning the wheel with the tires not even moving.try pulling back the cv boots and see if there is any lube in them if not there is your problem you can buy new clamps for the boots if there is lube make sure you clamp the boot back or it will be your next problem...hope this helps

Reply to
Steve Cook