clunk

Have a 91 Silverado ext cab, 5.7 litre, 169 ,000 kilometeres. When accelerating from a stop, a clunk sound (lack of a better word) is heard from the rear end. It feels like there is a slight hesitation as well. This doesn't occur all the time only intermittently. Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed.

Marbo

Reply to
Marcel and Kathy Bolen

It's the driveshaft's front slip yoke binding on the splines of the transmission output shaft (or transfer case output shaft if 4WD). Yank the driveshaft, slop some synthetic grease inside the slip yoke, rub it around with yer' hands, then reassemble. This will solve your problem for 6-12 months, at which time you'll have to repeat.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

He he. I found your first post when someone told you to do this. I posted a link, but you didn't say anything....

I FINALLY got sick of this thunk, went under there and did this. It got rid of my drive line vibes too! The only thing I can think is that it was binding up enough to throw off the pinion angle....

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin