Column shifter, how does it work?

Can anyone tell me on a a 79 blazer how it works?Literally how does the gear shift by pulling the lever?What type of cable or whatever is it?

grtz sax

Reply to
Saxomophone

There is a tube inside the column that runs down to the rag joint an arm at the bottom connects to linkage between tranny and frame, oh yes there is detents on upper column if you have an auto. trans. Almost for got there is a rod from arm to the linkage allready described. crawl under you trk and you can see it.

Reply to
LARRY929

Sorry, all detents are internal to the automatic transmission. If you disconnect the shift rod from the trans your shifter will free float without stopping in any indicated gear.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Reply to
bobo

Yes, but where are these detents located? Have you ever had a transmission apart? If you did you will see the detent cog that is located inside the transmission right next to the valve body..

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

what I described sure isn't inside a transmission.. I suggest you look a lot closer at the transmission.. there are detents inside a transmission.. I never said there wasn't.... they are different then what I described... they merely hold the manual valve in the selected position until enough force is used to move it to another....I have had a few transmisions apart, thank you... probably a lot more than you... if you like to turn this into a pissing contest, let me know... If you think the detent that keeps you from shifting out of park without pulling the shifter lever towards you is inside the trans, you have already proven me right...

transmission

Reply to
bobo

Yes, this is called a detents. What the hell else are you talking about?

Whatever you say. I'll humor you and let you win the pissing contest since it's quit evident that you like pissing in the wind and enjoy having a face full.

Again, what you describe is not a detent; it's a safety interlock (one click), which is a function of the column. The column has "NO" detents and (no clicks) for R,N,D,2,1. Having detents in both the column and the transmission is about as useful as having two asshole fitted to the same crack. Read what Larry stated since this is what I'm disagreeing with.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Reply to
bobo

OK, then a detent we will a go. Now take your towel and dry your face.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Your correct, there are stops or detents in the column for the safety of dropping it into reverse or park. The valve body detents have no effect of this what so ever.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

Rita always insults when she's proven inacurate. Most entertaining. b

Reply to
Battleax

A lot of people would be wrong. That is not what a detent is.

described...

Reply to
JRK

Seems it got a bit nasty here :) Is there a site somewhere with a diagram or something?For some reason the trans doesn't shift anymore.The chevy has been restored and i know it worked fine, also i never touched the trans but i did remove the dash and instrument panel.Did i kick something loose maybe? Any thoughts anyone?

grtz sax

Reply to
Saxomophone

Reply to
bobo

It's an auto yes and it doesn't react at all, like it's not even there and i removed only the instrument panel and dashcap, didn't touch the column, trans or engine, i've done the frame and bodywork first, front end i saved for last but i want to have it running first.Now you mention it the trans did leak a lot of oil, started when it was sitting for a few weeks, it never leaked when i drove it.Fill it up and try again? Btw it's a 250 engine and the th350 trans.

grtz sax

Reply to
Saxomophone

I would take the linkage loose from tranny and see if its moving thru all the gears ok, if it does then its in the shifter its self. You said it leaked oil out could be some internal prob with trans its self, Mite be wise to have a tranny shop check it out for you.

Reply to
LARRY929

. . (for those interested.....read the thread .... for those who aren't......your'e lost now)

Could someone please define the word ..... "D e t e n t"

because there's a possibility that I'm one of the many that's wrong.....though I very seriously doubt it. (cute little debate ya'll had going on there)

...... ......

Now ....to the OP of the thread let's fix yer truck.......

1) Crank the truck up and check the fluid.

2) then.....get a buddy to work the shifter while you take a gander at the linkage hooked to the tranny. Make sure that the linkage bracket ON THE TRANS is moving.

3) then....take the little clip out of the linkage bar and pop the bar out of the bracket that's bolted to the transmission case. Then move the shifter bracket forward and back to see if it "ratchets" through each position. (some would call this "detent"..and would be correct in doing so.) If you can feel the ratcheting effect while you're moving the "shifter arm".....then alls well so far, go ahead and stick it back togeather, you're problem isn't because the manual valve isn't moving. (unless of course.....you got yerself "the first ever I did see" broken manual valve)

IF....... the shifter arm on the case is moving forward and back, but you don't feel ANY detent or ratcheting effect....most likely the nut that holds it all togeather inside the case has backed off and it's small matter to fix.

IF...... everything is working fine externally, the fluild is full and red (not burn't and stanky), and... you remembered to plug the VACUME HOSE for the modulator back in that you knocked off during all that restoration work...then plugged it will a golf tee cuz you couldn't figure out what it went to....

then do a repost.....cuz I ain't got a clue what would make a good run'n tranny quit run'n good for no reason what so ever.

but I'm will'n to guess if'n you can give some more clues.

RECAP ::

1) check the fluid level 2) make sure the shifter is moving the lever at the tranny 3) make sure you can feel the detent action at the tranny 4) make sure your vacume hose running to the modulator is hooked up...and you have vacume all the way down to the modulator 5) do a repost if you need more help

hopefully helpfull,

Marsh ~always remember...and never forget..... if it were'nt broke...YOU BROKE IT~ ================== ==================

Reply to
Marsh Monster

snip de·tent (d-tnt) A catch or lever that locks the movement of one part of a mechanism

So the mechanism in the transmission is a "detent", and the mechanism in the column to lock out reverse is also called a "detent" B

begin 666 ibreve.gif M1TE&.#EA!P`/`/ ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````'``\```(1A ^!H

Reply to
Battleax

Reply to
bobo

Hi!

Ya...dun reckon I kin do it...

A "detent" is one of those little stopping points in slider switches, tranny shifters, some fancy-dancy volume controls and for those old enough to remember--manual TV "knob style" TV tuners have them as you rotate thru the channels.

So there you go...hope that helped, even if I think you already knew...

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh