Convert K1500 TBI-350 to a TBI-454 can it be done?

I need some help to see if it worth the trouble to convert a 1989 Chevy K1500 to a TBI-454 engine from a TBI-350. First of all can it be done????

Questions that come to me are:

1) Can the TBI-350 ECU be tuned to the TBI-454 engine parameters or is limitation to the TBI-350 ECU that I'm not aware of? 2) How about the front torsion bar? Do they need to change out for the extra weight of the TBI-454 engine? 3) Will the 700R4 automatic transmission torque converter work with this conversion? 4) Simple stuff like exhaust/ accessory bracket, hoses should not be a problem or is it?

What else did I forget or consider with this ideal????

Thanks for any help

Byron T

Reply to
bataradena

Will the stock tbi unit and fuel pump supply enough fuel?

Reply to
Sigwings

I just be using this truck for towing. So I believe this shouln't be a problem.

Thanks for the replies. I had a 383-Stroker in my truck for towing my trailer. For some reason, the rod bearing prematurely failed. I have no reason or finding to why the rod bearings failed. The heads, (S/R World Casting) are also junk, after hearing the news from the Head Shop. Adding up the costs for parts, I have decided to check into engine swapping. You may have read some of my past posting cornering the above problem. I thought, forget the 383 and start thinking about swapping engine. I have the tools (SW & HW) to edit the Eprom for the ECU from the days I was tuning the 383, but didn't know if there were any other major different that I may have overlooked. So, I been checking into a used TBI-454 and the cost is anywhere from $1750 to $750. What I would like to find is an engine that came out of a truck with most or all the stuff still attack to the engine. Does anyone have some good source for what I'm looking for? Thanks Byron T, Tucson AZ

Reply to
bataradena

In 1990 and 91 there was the C-1500 with a 454CI called the SS-454, so you maybe able to switch to those GM parts. Just look up the spec's, I know it had a 12 Bolt Rear. The 454CI had good torque, but not high HP. I did the Edelbrock Power Pkg on my 350 CI and I am not impressed, hope that helps.

Reply to
cabopeter