Costs to replace fuel pump - '99 Suburban

Yea, the worst thing that could happen on your part is that you get stuck in the Taco Cabana parking lot early Saturday morning and then have to cancel your barber appointment.

Reply to
News Skimmer

The trouble here is this is quite false and the blind leading the blind. I know how those things operate because over 25 years ago my father reped for a electric servo/motor company that built prototypes for GM testing and GM later used for several years. They had a lot of problems getting motor to last using gasoline as a lube for bearing as I recall him telling me back then. You go ahead and run you pump low if you want. I have never had first pump fail yet in any of mine and I have owned 4 and one for 17 years and counting. If you check around you will find that basically everyone that has shorter pump life on a GM vehicle runs tank low alot. Vortec pumps are less tolerant because they develop more heat due to much higher pressure and motor current.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

No as usual you are quite clueless but you do not seem to care. Go ahead and run those pumps low all the time and burn them out if you like changing them.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

What ever makes you feel less insecure Roy....

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

a) 25 years ago, GM had but a few vehicles that used an electric fuel pump. b) a 1999 Chevy Suburban isn't 25 years old.

Good to know if time travel is ever perfected.

If you check around, you'll find people who don't have shorter fuel pump life that run their tanks low also.

Vortec pump current is typically 2-3 amps higher than a TBI pump. That hardly equates to "much higher."

Nine years ago I built a home made smoke machine that used an electric fuel pump as the pressure source to force the smoke out of the heat chamber into the connecting hose. The pump runs bone dry and still works fine to this day.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Idiot... whether you like it or not Mr. shiden_kai is right on the money. I think it's hilarious that you refer to what your father did 25 years ago as if things haven't changed since then. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
tonyb3147

Looks like you got most of the testing done. There is a pin right next to the fuel pump relay thatyou can short +12V to and it will make the fuel pump run.

I went through the same set of issues; It would run for 30 seconds and then not at all for about an hour.

I was able to get under the truck and bang on the gas tank with my fists and as long as I did this, the fuel pump would not bind up and the truck would continue running.

Still had to have it towed in becasue I could not strap myself under the truck and let someone drive it in. :-) :-)

Check for a recall on it.. the wiring harness and sensor conectors. I have a 2000 and there were about 88K of them recalled. I got the labor for dropping the tank and re-wiring covered under the recall. I had to pay for the part and the actual additional labor to change the pump out.

Kev> OK, I don't know what Google has done, but you can no longer search news > servers!

Reply to
sharty

I have a '99 Tahoe and just replaced the fuel pump. I had the exact same thing happen to me, fuel gauge all over the place. It cost me $540 Can for the fuel Module and 3 hours labour and then of course the tax man cometh. The new fuel level sensor comes with the module. If you look at the old one, you will be able to see the tracking of the pick-ups across the different conducting bands.

Reply to
kaz

Strange thing is the fuel gauge is still slamming past Full and then drops back to the correct level and has a slight vibration when running. Does the sensor "always" fix this or could the gauge really be flaky itself???? Haven't called the dealer service center yet on it.

((SNIPPED CONTENT))

Reply to
Kevin