Cruise control problem

I was coming north out of Chicago yesterday in my 2002 S-10 (4 cyl, manual trans) with my cruise control set about 72 mph. I guess I had gone about 100 miles or more. All of a sudden the truck started to accelerate, up to and slightly over 80 mph. I tried tapping the brake but it was solid, no give at all, like it was locked. I hit the accelerator (why, I don't know), and the cruise control cut out, just like it would by tapping the brakes. Then the brakes worked.

I got scared and left cruise control off until I was into Minnesota. I tried it again and it keep the speed I selected and the brakes worked OK (tapping them to shut off the cruise).

Does anyone know what might have caused this? Do I have a real potential problem ticking away here?

Thanks for any help you could give.

Reply to
Rose Melinis

If I were you I would go to the authorized Chevrolet website and see if there were any recalls for that model year(s).

ZZZ

Reply to
zzz

What might have happened is the cruise control for some reason floored the accelerator and you lost manifold vacuum. For this to be true the check valve in the brake booster vacuum line would have to be bad, or there is a leak in the pluming to the brake booster. Try the brakes with the engine off after the truck has been sitting an 1/2 hour or so and see if they are hard like when you tried to stop. If it is, something is allowing air into the booster.

In any event, the cruise control has a problem, and it's separate from the brake problem. Most factory cruise controls will disengage if you tap the clutch pedal. Or, you can always shut of the key for a second to kill it.

Al

Reply to
Big Al