diesel s10

does anybody know of a deisel s10 for sale? i know they exist, just not to many of them. i think it was only around 4% of the 80?s model s10s had a diesel, but they do exist. If anybody knows of one, please let me know

Reply to
diamondjim

Donor vehicles besides the S-10, Chevy Chevette, Isuzu I-mark sedans, Isuzu pup trucks. Because those years were mechanical fuel injection, ie gear driven injector pump, swapping gas to diesel is not that hard.

Oldsmobile Cutlass Cieras had a diesel V-6, again mechanical injection, had a standard Chevy bolt pattern for bell housing.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Hi!

I have been halfheartedly looking for one, but I have never seen one except in pictures that another poster on the group sent to me. I asked for more (like some of the whole truck) but never saw them...

That was a bummer...I really wanted to see the whole truck.

You can see the pictures I was sent here:

(WARNING! These pictures are quite high resolution and may take a LONG time to download! They are also posted without-really-asking-if-it-was-OK, so they might disappear if the owner objects...)

Someday I'd like to find a good running (that's the primary concern) example of a Diesel Chevette. I drove one a long while back.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Reply to
Howard Bingham

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I have a diesel S-10, 1985, and in my experience the engine is the most reliable part of the truck. Those Isuzu C223 engines are known for longevity. It's the GM built electrical system that is giving me fits right now.

The engines were custom built because instead of moving the whole power egg over from the Isuzu P'up complete with the Hitachi alternator and the Nippon-Denso AC compressor, GM just _had_ to use Delco parts. This means accessories are cheap because they're standard Delco parts, but the mounting brackets are unique to the diesel model. This caused me no end of trouble when I discovered broken alternator brackets.

I can't complain too loudly, really. It means the accessories are WAY cheaper than the import counterparts. I get 50% more alternator for about a third the price.

As a real silver lining, I've found that the receptionist at my favorite welding shop, who is also a graphic artist, is a real hottie.

The fix for the oil cooler problem is to chuck it, and replace it with a sandwich adapter and a Flatplate oil/water heat exchanger. The trick there is to find a place to mount the heat exchanger.

Either that or replace it with a sandwich adapter and thermostat valve to an oil/air oil cooler in front of the radiator. PermaCool has just such an animal.

I've looked into replacing the oil cooler with one from a Volkswagen, but the VW ones are thicker, and cause clearance issues with the oil filter.

Maybe remote the oil filter, but engine compartment space is a major issue with the S-10.

My oil cooler hasn't started to leak yet, but those sandwich oil coolers always do, sooner or later, and I'm looking into options for when mine does go west.

AP

Reply to
Alan Petrillo

Reply to
Howard Bingham

Whatever works for you. I just think you gave up on your P'up too soon.

AP

Reply to
Alan Petrillo