Different 350's?

Okay, so I had a rod throw it's bolt neatly through a tiny hole in my oil pan last year. I've been looking at an engine swap.

I have a 1990 K1500. It's TBI 350, all stock, serpentine belt, etc.

I have the opportunity to get an earlier generation small block 350 to pop into my truck. This new engine is rebuilt by someone I trust and built with all good quality parts. Nothing extreme, just a good solid rebuild.

My quesitons are: Will the accessories all bolt up? What do I need to worry about? Engine mounts? Are there years that I should look at as very different?

All the swaps I've done were on big old ponitacs....

Thanks in advance,

John F.

Reply to
Axis29

The engine mounts will not be an issue. Accessories are going to be the problem., and the biggest issue will be metric vs. ASE threads. With the brackets that mount to the engine, if the holes line up its just a matter of using the correct ASE bolts to mount them to the block, and then the metric fasteners to mount the accessories to the brackets.. Of course if the earlier engine was V-belt, then the water pump has to be replaced with one for serpentine, as they rotate in opposite directions. Use a water pump for the year engine your replacing. Also need to make sure engines are balanced the same, i.e. internal vs. external as far as being able use the correct harmonic balancer and crank pulley. Obviously your engine is down so the easiest way is to pull everything off the front off the engine, lots of digital pics, and lots of small paper bags. Each accessories mounting bolts go in a separate bag marked. Then pic of the front of the heads and block for mounting holes and compare these to the engines you are looking at.. The hard thing might be where and how to mount the knock sensor. Any engine can be swapped into any vehicle if you have the patience, ingenuity, and a deep enough set of pockets lol.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks for the reply. The big thing here is the shallowness of my pockets! If I had the money to buy adapters, I'd just go buya friggin crate motor! LOL

If it's just my water pump than no big deal. I guess the real deal is I nee dto go get my engine pulled and documented (digital pics, like you suggest) and then go look at this older engine.

Thanks again,

John F.

Reply to
Axis29

You maybe somewhat surprised at how much a long block from Chevy costs. Don't rule it out till you check. Not to mention a 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning