disc brake rotors

I have an '01 C2500HD with 44K miles. About a month ago I started to experience steering wheel pulsating/shimmy when I applied the brakes. Took it to the Chevy dealer today; said all 4 disc brake rotors are bad. Can't be turned, must be replaced for $900+. Should this be considered normal wear? Has there been a problem with them? TIA

Bob Scheirer

Reply to
Bob Scheirer

"Bob Scheirer" wrote

Not really. I've seen a few of the late model trucks with pulsation problems, but you should be able to turn them unless you have gone metal to metal. You probably haven't replaced the brake pads yet, have you? These rotors are quite meaty and you should easily be able to machine them and stay well within the machining limits.

Provided of course, that (as I said) no metal to metal wear has taken place.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

No, I haven't replaced the pads yet. The Service Advisor said the brakes would pass inspection. They also said there was some "flaking" from the rotors. Maybe I'll take it to another garage and get a second opinion. Bob

Reply to
Bob Scheirer

"Bob Scheirer" wrote

Not quite sure what they mean by "flaking"....but if it happens to be rust on the surface of the rotors....I have seen that. In this case, depending on how much rust there is, I could see them condemning the rotors. It's hard to tell without seeing the rotors. Second opinion can't hurt.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I have a friend who own's a 2000 Silverado. His front rotors were TRASH. At least a 1/8" grove on the inside of the rotors. They were pot marked, scored, just absolutely nasty. His rears were fine. New rotors ($44) and new pads ($??) and it's all better now.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

I have a 99s10 4X4 and had lots of problems with brakes until went aftermarket (way cheaper as well) as soon as i went in sand or mud the grooves would fill up and act like sandpaper and cook them, i am now using the raybestos ones and they work great, hope that helps

Reply to
wasmo