Distributor gear woes? Maybe???

Well I finally got the cam, Lifters, Timing set and new distributor gear in my truck. Now it runs but something is not right. The truck is a 96 GMC with a 7.4L Gen VI motor. (454) Cam I installed is from a ZZ502. It runs like a bear but starts hard (Like timing is off) and idles terrible. I was told buy a friend at GM that the idle should be no different than it was before but with a little thump. The guy where I bought the parts from said I put the distributor gear on 180=BA off causing the timing to be 1/2 tooth off. Anybody ever hear of this before?! I hate to pull the distributor if that's not the issue. Any thoughts out there!! Thanks

Reply to
Daveman

Yes you can put the gear on 1/2 tooth off, but if you can adjust the dist housing by turning it (just like setting the timing) it doesn't matter. If you look at the pin holes in the gear you will most likely see a hole on one side in the middle of the teeth, on the other lined up on the tooth...You can adjust the timing on this engine right? Have you checked the timing?

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Timing is really hard to adjust on this. Not much room between the plenium for the fuel injaction and the distributor. With the electronic ignition on this I think by the time I get it sounding good I get the check light. Was told this cam would idle similar to the stock one. Figured a bit of a thump but not that big of a difference in timing! (It's from a ZZ502 crate motor!)

Reply to
Daveman

Dude, you had the dist out, you must set the timing. If you marked the dist then put it back to the marks the gear can throw you off too .....Set the timing to factory specs and then drive it a bit to let the ECM relearn.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Set the distributor back where it was after I rotated the gear. I can see the timing mark finally. Somebody mentioned about unplugging a wire before you try setting the timing. Any idea what wire? Where it might be? What color even!??

Reply to
Daveman

look for a tan wire with a black stripe, with a small black plug. Near where the ECM harness goes through the dash under the hood, pass side. It used to be under a black plastic cover there on the firewall, not sure if your 96 is the same way though.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Thanks I'll give that a go tomorrow. Putting the truck back in the garage then. Have all night to work on it!

Reply to
Daveman

Well, I'm at a loss. Everything is set in place but I can't get it to idle properly. The computer keeps trying to pull back the timing to TDC marker. And it will not let it idle,(When it does), over 650 rpm. I keep getting a P1345 error code. When it's warmed up you have to crank the dickens out of it to start it to. Did I line up the distributor gear wrong? Could I have messed up the crank sensor? This is driving me nuts! I like my truck alot but am starting to wonder!!!

Reply to
Daveman

Well, I'm at a loss. Everything is set in place but I can't get it to idle properly. The computer keeps trying to pull back the timing to TDC marker. And it will not let it idle,(When it does), over 650 rpm. I keep getting a P1345 error code. When it's warmed up you have to crank the dickens out of it to start it to. Did I line up the distributor gear wrong? Could I have messed up the crank sensor? This is driving me nuts! I like my truck alot but am starting to wonder!!!

Reply to
Daveman

Sounds like the dist in not right(1345 code). If I were you I would buy a book and set the dist to exactly what it says. We don't even know if the timing is adjustable....Do we?

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

It was the distributor gear. Off 180=BA Picked up a chiltons manual. Actually had a picture of one lined up. Bad thing so far is the guy's garage I was working in decided to "Help" So alot of this stuff I only did half of. Now I just have to figure out the idle mix. The computer controls everything on this truck. But there is an air flow screw on the side of the throttle which holds the butterfly open just ?? much. Unfortunately it got adjusted too. And I'm not sure how far it got turned.So right now it's hit and miss. I'll just carry the adjusting tool with me and try different areas as I go. Next stop would be somewhere to get it retuned if I can't get this one figured out!!

Thanks for all the calming advice Shoe Salesman. You've been a great help with keeping me calm through all this! Also reminds me to not let others mess with my truck who say "They know what it needs" then tell you to come get it cause they can't figure it out!!! :(

Reply to
Daveman

It was the distributor gear. Off 180º Picked up a chiltons manual. Actually had a picture of one lined up. Bad thing so far is the guy's garage I was working in decided to "Help" So alot of this stuff I only did half of. Now I just have to figure out the idle mix. The computer controls everything on this truck. But there is an air flow screw on the side of the throttle which holds the butterfly open just ?? much. Unfortunately it got adjusted too. And I'm not sure how far it got turned.So right now it's hit and miss. I'll just carry the adjusting tool with me and try different areas as I go. Next stop would be somewhere to get it retuned if I can't get this one figured out!!

Thanks for all the calming advice Shoe Salesman. You've been a great help with keeping me calm through all this! Also reminds me to not let others mess with my truck who say "They know what it needs" then tell you to come get it cause they can't figure it out!!! :(

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

But of the problem is the ecm should be reprogramed to rec. a differant size cam shaft

Reply to
polarisracer15

What problem? What the heck are you replying to? Your posts are worthless since you won't post the message you are replying to.

Reply to
Bob M

According to Gm Performance plus. There is no difference to the ECM. Once you get the base timing set. The ECM unit has the capability (In the 96 and newer trucks) to find the right seting to the cam. They seem to think I'm either off 1 tooth on the base timing or I have a valve a bit to snug and it's not shutting tight. They recommended resetting the valves first and then working backwards from there if that doesn't do it.

Reply to
Daveman